6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 1:44 AM by Jacob Bugge

Using Text to Create a Bridge

H3lue Level 1

Hi all,

I want to use text to create a bridge.  Basically I have an image of a cliff, and I want to use the text to span the gap.  I want the text to become the support structures of this arch bridge.  I know you can allow the text to align to a path but is there any way to squeeze the text between two paths?  So that the top of the text will be just flat, but the bottom will be arranged in an arc.  I want the height of the text to change with the path, not the orientation (i.e. remain vertical). see attached.  There are three "pieces" to the bridge and this image is going to be a part of an animation where the bridge is assembled piece by piece.  Each piece of the bridge ought to be one of the three words "Pricing" "Marketing" and "inventory"  See attachedBridge Text.jpgAlso, if you have any other design ideas for this that may work better that would be awesome!

• 1. Re: Using Text to Create a Bridge
          H3lue Level 1

Sorry for the image. Heres a more viewable picture.  As you can see I began to align the text with the path but it is also rotating with the path, which I do not want it to do. (I want to have the top of the text at a constant height).Bridge Text copy.jpg

• 2. Re: Using Text to Create a Bridge
            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Set your text Something like this

Picture 1.png

Set your text and from the Object menu choose Envelope Distort> Make with Warp

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Using Text to Create a Bridge
              H3lue Level 1

I still cannot get the text exactly right.  When i get the correct shape of the arc beneath, the text becomes distorted when I drag it into the position I want it to be in.

• 4. Re: Using Text to Create a Bridge
                Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The warp tool naturally distorts the text. If you want the text to follow the curve, draw out a curve and use text on a path.

• 5. Re: Using Text to Create a Bridge
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well I think you do want to use the text path tool but I think you need an extended font design or you have to extend the text yourself as I did using the selection tool, I first created the text as a straight point text then extended it cut and pasted the text to he ellipse which I had already converted to a text path.

I think you should consider being creative about it yourself

Anyway pretty easy to accomplish if you weigh the limitation and the possibilities together.

Screen shot 2010-07-22 at 3.10.17 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-07-22 at 3.12.48 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-07-22 at 3.21.47 AM.png

• 6. Re: Using Text to Create a Bridge
                    Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

H3lue,

I still cannot get the text exactly right.  When i get the correct shape of the arc beneath, the text becomes distorted when I drag it into the position I want it to be in.

Do you drag it with the (normal black) Selection Tool? You could also select it (with the same tool) and move it in other ways (X,Y values in the Transform palette, Arrow keys, Object>Transform>Move) if more convenient.

Another thing: you may consider stretching the Type vertically to get a more natural average letter shape.