7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2010 2:44 PM by JaysonM-Y

Export as .AVI

Shawnis_Maximus

Hello.

I am having troubles exporting my compostion as an .AVI file.  It appears as though you can't?  Yet I need to for my work, the video is being uploaded onto a giant screen, that only accepts the .avi format.

I tried exporting it out as a quicktime movie and then converting it to .avi but the quicktime movie comes out blurry?  (its a small file only 130 pixels by 100)

Does anyone know how to export as an .avi or how to export it so that it will not come out blurry at all (so I can then convert it to .avi)?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Export as .AVI
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of After Effects? What operating system?

Rendering and exporting to AVI is supported on Windows, as stated here.

Are you rendering and exporting through the render queue? (If you're using After Effects CS4 or earlier, don't export to QuickTime or AVI using the File > Export menu.)

• 2. Re: Export as .AVI
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            It appears as though you can't?

Are you on a Mac? Then indeed "you can't" for the most part, which goes with Macs simply not supporting most Windows video formats. For everything else, we need indeed more info. Just saying rthat something doesn't work without providing any specifics is not particulalrly sensible or helpful.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Export as .AVI
              Shawnis_Maximus Level 1

Hi,

Yes I am on a mac.  and I am using After Effects CS5.  on CS4 I could export to .avi, but I can't figure out how to on CS5 now, there dosen't seem to be an option in the render que.

• 4. Re: Export as .AVI
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What little AVI support is available on Mac is handled via Quicktime and this may not be possible in 64bit apps. So I guess you'll have to change your workflo or stick with CS4. Even on PC the available AVI outputs are quite limited in CS5, since most CoDecs only exist  in 32bit, so even that wouldn't be an option...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Export as .AVI
                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

I'm not keen on CS5 but I have exported avi via quicktime for an edit on a regular computer. Export as Quicktime Animation, then from Quicktime: File>Export>Change Export Option To AVI>Options>Video>Settings>Change it to DVCPRO NTSC or whatever>Quality to Best>Scan Mode to Progressive... Then Do whatever else you need to with the audio settings.

• 6. Re: Export as .AVI
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There is no File > Export option for any of the QuickTime formats in After Effects CS5. (And, as Mylenium said, AVI export on Mac OS was only possible through QuickTime before.)

The reason that there is no File > Export  option for QuickTime is because those options weren't actually installed by After Effects in the first place. They were installed by QuickTime. After Effects provides a means for other software to install options in that menu, but QuickTime is the only software that ever took advantage of that. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide a 64-bit version of QuickTime, so there's no way for QuickTime to install things into the 64-bit After Effects application.

The AFter Effects team had to write their own interface software to work as a 32-bit QuickTime server to interact with the 32-bit QuickTime software, just to make it possible to import QuickTime movies and export them through the render queue.

• 7. Re: Export as .AVI
                      JaysonM-Y Level 3

Ah. I get you. Would it be sensible then to just import that sequence into Media Encoder and export it from there?