12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 5:13 PM by the_wine_snob

Can you do this with Premiere Elements?

Cori21

I have a Sony Handycam with hard drive. I want to be able to cut more than one part out of the same movie clip. PMB, which came with the camcorder doesn't allow me to do that, only cut out one part to save. And I think Windows Live Movie Maker is the same? So does Premiere Elements allow you to cut several parts out of the same clip? Is it easy to use?

• 1. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
          Paul787 Level 3

Yes you can cut several parts out of a single clip. For example, if you had a clip that was two minutes long, you could split

it into four smaller clips, delete one of them and trim the remaining three clips as you like. You could then export or share this as a new single clip in the format of your choosing. At the same time, your original clip will remain untouched on your computer in case you needed it for a future project.

It is quite straigthforward to use, you will see the Split Clip button in the lower right corner of the Monitor window. I'm assuming you already have Premiere Elements. If you don't, try the free trial version and see if you like it.

Hope this is of some assistance.

• 2. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
            Cori21 Level 1

Thanks. No, I don't have it yet. I was just about to buy it, but I think I might try the free trial first.

• 3. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you'd like to see how it works, have a look at my free Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorials at videomaker support site http://Muvipix.com.

And, once you have the program, you may want to check out my well reviewed how-to books, available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store.

• 4. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
                Cori21 Level 1

Thanks, I will have a look at that.

• 5. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
                  Cori21 Level 1

Does Premiere Elements save the edited clips as mpgs?

And when you have edited a clip and re saved it, does it lose quality like a jpg does?

• 6. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

When one does a Save, Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, they are ONLY saving the Project file, the PREL, and NOT any of the video. This ARTICLE will give you much more background and detail.

That is handled by doing a Share/Export, and one has many choices and options. The resulting quality will depend on those choices.

How do you intend on delivering the AV file?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
                      Cori21 Level 1

Thanks.

The movie clips are mpgs on my camcorder, so I was going to re save them as mpgs. Is that what you meant by delivering the file?

• 8. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That is your chosen delivery format.

If you start with MPEG, you have compressed material to start with. When you edit and then Export/Share, and choose MPEG (or any compressed format/CODEC), you will compress again. Quality will be compromised, though maybe not enough to worry about. You will have to determine that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
                          Cori21 Level 1

What format besides mpg could I resave the edited clip so that it didn't lose quality? One that I could then burn onto DVD and play on a DVD player.

• 10. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, a DVD-Video is MPEG-2, and there is no other format/CODEC, that you can use. I would test with a DVD RW disc, and monitor the quality. It might well be more than adequate for your purposes.

Now, your exact steps will depend on how you plan on authoring your DVD-Video. If within PrE, then you do not need to do anything, as PrE will Transcode the Timeline for you, when you do the Burn to Folder, or Burn to Disc. If using other software for authoring, then it will depend. How are you doing the authoring?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
                              Cori21 Level 1

By authoring, do you mean burning to the DVD? If so, I was going to use Nero.

What would be better quality - editing on the computer and re saving as an mpg with the loss of quality, or connecting the camcorder to the DVD recorder with the red, yellow and white plugs and doing the editing on the DVD-RAM disc. Problem with that is though, I can't put the footage on DVD-RAM discs for other people, as not everyone can play them on their players. And I can't edit on any other disc on the recorder.

• 12. Re: Can you do this with Premiere Elements?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, authoring is a bit more than just the physical Burning to Disc. That is why I asked. It incorporates everything from the editing of the movie to the physical burning of the disc. PrE is a bit of an exception, in that it is first an NLE program, and then will author and burn. Pinnacle's Studio is the same, as are a few other programs. As of CS3, PrPro is ONLY an NLE, and one must use a program, like Encore, to do the actual authoring.

PrE has basic DVD/BD authoring capabilities, and that is what the Menu Sets and Chapter/Menu Markers are all about. The final phase is the physical Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder for DVD-only Projects.

Many users will do the initial authoring in PrE, and then Burn to Folder (remember, DVD only), prior to using another program, such as Nero, Roxio or the free ImgBurn to do the physical Burn to Disc. Not sure how much actual authoring Roxio and Nero can do, and that might also depend on which versions/models of each one has.

Some users will stop short of using PrE for any authoring functions, and will instead, Export from PrE and then Import that file into a more full-featured authoring program, like Sony's DVD Architect, or Adobe's Encore. I use the latter, but it is now only available with PrPro and is not sold as a stand-alone.

Again, and depending on what one has in the way of programs and what they wish, there are basically three ways to handle things:

1.) use an NLE program, like PrE to do the editing and then the authoring, culminating with the physical Burn to Disc.

2.) use an NLE program to do just the editing and then Export to a fully DVD-compliant MPEG-2 for the authoring phase. The benefit of this method is that one has much more control over the bit-rate, and number of passes, but at the expense of having to do bit-budgeting to fit the contents onto a disc.

3.) use an NLE program to do just the editing and then Export as a DV-AVI Type II file, to be Imported into a program, like Encore, and let it do the Transcoding on Automatic. This has the advantage of letting a very good program do all the "heavy-lifting" regarding the Transcode settings, and fitting everything onto the desired media.

As for producing a DVD-ROM (actually, all burned DVD's are really DVD-ROM discs, by definition, but that gets blurred in common usage) disc with an AV file, one has the player aspect to consider, and also the aspect of file sizes. What you are referring to is commonly called a DVD-Data, as opposed to a DVD-Video (see above, as those are officially DVD-ROM's if burned, and not replicated). To fit material onto a DVD-Data, you will possibly need to compromise quality by compressing the AV file to fit. MPEG-2, the CODEC of DVD-Video, is very efficient, but if one already has compressed material, another compression will take place.

Now, if you were not needing to edit the material, the best that you could do would be to either use the recorded MPEG-2 on a DVD-Data disc, or use an authoring program that will Burn to Disc (DVD-Video). The latter is predicated on your source footage being 100% DVD-compliant, and not all MPEG-2 files are. When one must edit, especially if they are adding Effects like Slo-mo, there is not way to accomplish things at the highest quality level, but to re-compress and take the hit. The "cure" is to only shoot with a miniDV tape camera, and then there is not any real compression going on. Even the HD cameras that shoot AVCHD, etc., will be compressing the footage first, and one will do so again, when the Project is authored, though with HD, that quality hit is less obvious, if one authors to BD (Blu-ray Disc).

It's not an easy decision to make. Much will depend on what one needs to do, and what they need to end up with. However you slice it, shooting with a miniDVD, or similar compressed footage camera, is not a good place to start.

Good luck,

Hunt