5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 4:15 AM by rawtig3r

How to add meta data to .mov

karina1717

How do I add meta data to a mov or mp4 I'm creating? Is there a way using After Effects or at least Windows? I know this can be done when posting on YouTube but I want to host the video myself.

• 1. Re: How to add meta data to .mov
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What kind of metadata?

Adobe Bridge is a convenient way to add and edit some kinds of metadata. See this section for information about metadata and Bridge. See this section for information XMP metadata in After Effects, specifically.

• 2. Re: How to add meta data to .mov
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What "meta data"? I think you are confusing things here. What YouTube does is embed cue points which then trigger display of data. Likewise, they allow you to add extra keywords for their internal search engine. None of this relates in any way to adding "meta data" to the streams as it is understood in conventional video workflows. Aside from that, meta data is invisible. So even if you embed it, you still need a suitable player skin or other mechanism to display it. I'm afraid you're going about this completely the wrong way, because you do not understand the underlying concepts.... If you are really thart interested in presenting additional information, use FLV video with embedded cue points and find a player skin that allows to display these marker comments. For anything even more fancy, you will have to dig into Flash itself or at least Flash Catalyst to produce a custom SWF player....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How to add meta data to .mov
              karina1717 Level 1

Thanks guys, this is very useful information.

@Adobe I'll check out these articles tomorrow, hopefully it will work with CS3.

@Other guy(sorry I'm replying to my original post and I can't see your name). What I'm looking for is useful information that will help the search engines index video I'm hosting on my own website.

• 4. Re: How to add meta data to .mov
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

@Other guy(sorry I'm replying to my original post and I can't see your name). What I'm looking for is useful information that will help the search engines index video I'm hosting on my own website.

They don't. Search engines only look into page meta data, which is utterly unrelated to the video itself and needs to be done at the HTML level, e.g. by supplying meta tags in the page header. Additional info can be provided by using title, description and name HTML tags associated with your video object. Aside from that, it matters how often yourt page gets indexed at all, where incoming links are from and all that. More infdo on SEO can be found on the web or by asking in web-centric forums and meta-data is only a minor part... If it's just some lame site with 3 visitors per day it will never show up anywhere reasonably near the top, no matter how much auxilairy info you add.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: How to add meta data to .mov
                  rawtig3r

Hi,

I'm researching metadata for online video at the moment and came across this thread. I'm being told by numerous people that video metadata is now very important and is now inxexable by search engines like google.

I see the last post is a year or so old here so my question is - if I add metadata to flv files via bridge before hosting (hosting myself, not on YouTube), will this benefit the seo of my site?

The below link suggests this is the case, but I want to be sure...

http://www.reelseo.com/add-infile-metadata-video-files/

Thanks