1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 2:18 PM by Ann Bens

Colorista II coming out tommorow....

joshtownsend Level 2

They're doing a cool teasing-style announcement today. Releasing little pics of the UI and spilling features every few minutes.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/

I've been testing the software for the past few months and signed and NDA so I had to keep quiet about his amazing tool. It was hard as hell because the plug-in is amazing.

I won't go into detail about my experience with the plug-in (20+ hours) with until the release tommorow but I figured I let you guys know that there will be a really cool plug-in you guys need to try out tommorow (download the demo and play with it).

It's almost a mini-Da Vinici suite inside of Premiere or After Effects and it's fast.

The secondary keyer WILL BLOW YOUR MIND. Here's a picture: http://yfrog.com/0h69jtj and http://yfrog.com/f/edvquj/

It works even better when you use it with a power mask. Like this: http://yfrog.com/5klwarj and http://yfrog.com/mgyoej

Here's a picture of one the three main sections. http://yfrog.com/n9h4xj

Oh, it does have curves as well. http://yfrog.com/m9je2j

It's GPU accelerated also so it's fast.

Everything above was compiled from STU's Twitter feed, I'll have to wait untill the release tomorrow to tell you guys WHAT IT REALLY DOES.

• 1. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
          joshtownsend Level 2

Looks like they announced Colorista FREE.    "So we have created a free version of Colorista, featuring a  CDL-compliant 3-way corrector, that we will release later this year."

Red Giant rules.....In a few months Premiere will have a real 3-way for free!!!!!

• 2. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
            D&R Films Level 1

been watching stu's tweets about this all day...

• 3. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
              rejdmast1 Level 2

Can you track the power masks? Can you set variable softness for different points on the power masks?

• 4. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                Manuel Volcano

Hello Josh.

Is colorista 2 Gpu accelerated?, is it as fast as MPE?

And, what about UI sluggish, as Stu says on Prolost web?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                  joshtownsend Level 2

You can track the center of the power masks but you have to be in After Effects. No tracker in Premiere.

To me the greatest thing about CII  is being able to use the keyer then minimize the area your keying by adding a power mask. Also having two seperate power mask sections, lets you do a whole lot things. The combinations are really endless. I've been using the plug-in for close to two months and I'm sure I've figured out every combination there is (joining, subtracting, adding) between levels.

• 6. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                    joshtownsend Level 2

It's GPU accelarated for sure. There's a switch that lets you make it CPU rendering only and it is way slower.

I don't use MPE at all because I just plain don't need it for my P2 footage, I'm real-time already.  I loathe using the horrible CC plug-ins that are MPE accelerated.

That said MBLooks and CII are still realtime for me with MPE. I only have 250 512ram nvidia GPU, so I imagine fast-*** cards you need fopr MPE would blaze it pretty good.

About Premiere: the UI on wheels are a tab bit slower but work fine. You can also switch to it sliders that control wheels so there is an option if it bugs.

It doesn't cost anything to download the demo, so try it yourself and see if it's for you. The secondary UI keyer used in conjunction with power windows (used as garbage masks) is just plain revolutionary.

• 7. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                      jabloomf1230 Level 1

I have it and it is much improved over Colorista. It doesn't take advantage of the MPE in Premiere, but it does use Open GL to accelerate rendering in both AE and PPro. Stu Maschwitz over at ProLost blog has a nice review with a tutorial. He does point out a problem that has been around since the previous version. The response to dragging objects with your mouse is sluggish. It's a minor annoyance to me, though.

• 8. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                        Uwe Lansing

Working with PP CS5 I can´t see the visual mask as an overlay line in the program window like its shown in Stu´s tutorial. Isn´t it possible in PP or am I doing something wrong?

• 9. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                          jonhand

I've been testing out the new Colorista 2 demo since yesterday afternoon. Like the first version, the plugin clips all superwhites (not recoverable). I thought this was supposed to be fixed! Color Finesse, for example, has never clipped superwhites (all recoverable). There should also be a tutorial (instruction) on how to use the highlight recovery, which in my case (CS4) doesn't appear to do anything! Very disappointing upgrade (particularly since the other added features are awesome).

• 10. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                            Stu Maschwitz

I don't have CS4 here to test, but in CS5, Colorista II does not clip if you set your Sequence to Maximum Bit Depth.  It's a 32bpc effect in both Premiere Pro and After Effects.

-Stu

• 11. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                              jonhand Level 1

Thank you Stu for your quick response. I tested a Premiere Pro CS4 sequence (setting it to Maximum Bit Depth), and Colorista 2 still is clipping the whites. Even without the Maximum Bit Depth OFF, several of Premiere's own filters (e.g. curves) as well as Color Finesse, have never clipped the whites (and overbrights). I remember a board post here some time back complaining how Colorista 1 clipped overbrights in CS4, and that it was being addressed by Red Giant. So I guess this issue has not been resolved for earlier versions in Colorista 2, and is only workable in CS5. This is unfortunate for anyone using your new version in CS4, particularly since so many of your new features are incredible.

• 12. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                Martin HJA Level 1

I really like the v02 also. But I get an error Window when applying Colorista 2 to my footage in the timeline of PPro CS5. Please see the attached JPEG file. The strange thing is, that if I don't touch the window I can prefectly work with Premiere CS5 and colorista 2. But when I close the error window, premiere shuts down completely.

No such problems in AFX cs5.

I still had colorista 1 installed, since I kept my Premier Pro CS4 install (need to finisch a projekt with it). So I uninstalled Colorista 1, but that didn't help.

I also used the suggested installation method from red giant site (using the compatability mode XP sp2, run as admin, disable firewalls + anti virus etc.). Nothing helped. Uninstalled colorista 2 and reinstalled using the normal method...nothing helps.

Any ideas?

Windows 7 64bit on a SSD Drive, 8GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 260 (just updatet today to the newest drivers, didn't help also).

I recently updated my trapcode and MBLooks plugin to CS5 64Bit compatability, and don't have any problems at all. So it really must be something with Colorista 2.

Thanx,
                                MartinColorista2_Error_Window.jpg

• 13. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                  Stu Maschwitz Level 1

Hi Martin,

I'm afraid that I have no idea how to help you with tech support issues, but Red Giant has the best support in the plug-in world.  Please contact them and they will work this out with you.

-Stu

• 14. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                    shooternz Level 6

I have the original Colorista and did not use it very much at all...

Just tried the new version (Colorista II) for half and hour ... and I know  this will get a lot more use.

Very impressed.  (Will upgrade definitely)

Quick and lazy question... how do you get the line on the Mask to show as a line? ......eg ellipse or rectangle

• 15. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                      Stu Maschwitz Level 1

Glad you like it!

That's not a lazy question at all — in fact, sadly, that preview outline is only available in AE as far as I know.

-Stu

• 16. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                        shooternz Level 6

Thanx Stu.

I guess I can live with that... its not a show stopper for me at all considering what you guys have done with it...but it would be really nice to have  in PPRO as well (Feature Request ?).

Looking forward to a serious play with this when  I upgrade tommorow.

Craig

• 17. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                          Stu Maschwitz Level 1

I will pass your feature request along to Adobe.

Thanks again,

-Stu

• 18. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                            shooternz Level 6

Stu

Just because you are hanging around here currently..may I pick your brain please.

What is a good workflow for CCing a key?

I do a lot of them and always fudge around best way to key FG element ( usually a person) without destroying the key BG.

CC ....PRE or POST  key is the basic question.?

Suggestion: Could Colorista have a function that  allowed CCing the FG element without affecting the BG key? (second feature request)

Cheers

Craig

• 19. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                              Stu Maschwitz Level 1

Hi Craig,

You should use just enough CC on the keyed FG to blend it in to the BG. Then you should grade the entire shot as one for your overall look and shot-to-shot matching.

Colorista II can be used for any or all parts of this operation. If you apply CII to a FG with alpha, then you're using it to CC only the FG.

In After Effects you would have: Bottom layer = BG, above that the FG with CII on it for matching CC, and above that an Adjustment Layer with CII for overall grade.

-Stu

• 20. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                shooternz Level 6
                                                Colorista II can be used for any or all parts of this operation. If you apply CII to a FG with alpha, then you're using it to CC only the FG.

Previously to CS 5 I was using AEFX to pull keys ( KeyLight)

1. Sometimes I would make an intermediate with alpha and do basic compositing in PPRO

2. Other times I would do more complex  compositing in AEFX and produce an intermediate to take back to PPRO

The first instance I can see how I can CC /grade the FG with Colorista  (or other tools). FG + alpha

The second instance does not  allow so much control because of the composite. FG + BG

Now I am trying to understand how I can best utilise the realtime advantage of MPE with Ultra Key as well as have a CC from say ...Colorista II. (which does not have to be RT.)

Wouldnt it be great to be able to tell Colorista to "Ignore Key Color - Green Pick"  and CC what ever is left?

Great to have a chance to discuss this with you Stu.

Craig

• 21. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                  shooternz Level 6

I have just spent some more time with Colorista II and I now think it has enough tools in the tool set to do exactly what I mentioned in previous post.

This application is blowing me away big time.

The secondaries are just amazing and the logic of all controls is superb to work with.

• 22. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                    Stu Maschwitz Level 1

Very happy to hear that man.  Enjoy!

-S

• 23. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                      shooternz Level 6
                                                      You can track the center of the power masks but you have to be in After Effects. No tracker in Premiere.

I can track the masks in PPRO no problem at all.

Everything is  key frameable.

• 24. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ProLost wrote:

Glad you like it!

That's not a lazy question at all — in fact, sadly, that preview outline is only available in AE as far as I know.

-Stu

Got MBCII yesterday

No Outline is quite disappointing.

Is this going to be fixed?

• 25. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                          Tim Kolb Level 1

I think this lack of a visible mask line is unfortunate.  I'm almost certain I could see one in Colorista 1 on PPro...whatever I had at the time...CS3?

On the keying/CC issue...  PPro and AE have always had a pipeline order for applied effects...whatever is in line first is applied first (other than intrinsic effects of course).

So...I've never had an issue with pulling the key...then doing whatever CC on the foreground element after the key...does this not work for you?

• 26. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                            Stu Maschwitz Level 1

You know what Tim, you are absolutely right. We had them working in Colorista 1 and they currently work in Magic Bullet Looks.

I think we switched to color overlays for CII, which may be why they are busted.

I'm going to call this a bug and look into it — I think we could possibly post a free fix for this.

Thanks for pushing us to do our best guys.

-Stu

• 27. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                              Tim Kolb Level 1

Huh...I just thought my brain was playing tricks on me and that they may have only worked in AE then too...and I don't have Colorista 1 installed on anything anymore.

I'd LOVE to tell the fxphd class that that feature is

in line for a fast fix...  CC will be coming up and Colorista 2

figures into my lesson plans.

• 28. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                Stu Maschwitz Level 1

I've notified engineering about the issue, let me see if I can get you that confirmation early next week.

-Stu

• 29. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                  shooternz Level 6

Guys.

Re: Mask outline...

Currently the trick is to remove the feather from the MASK and show it in Blue Overlay Mode.

Nice to hear that Red Giant will look at it and get it working in PPRO (like it did before) and as it is in AEFX

Regarding CCing a FG element and maintaining a workeable key.  Yes.. no problem if you are doing conservative CCing on a normal skin tone type scene.  If you want to go a bit crazy with a funky look on the element...it requires a bit of a different workflow.  Thats o.k  and doeable.

• 30. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                    Tim Kolb Level 1

shooternz wrote:

Regarding CCing a FG element and maintaining a workeable key.  Yes.. no problem if you are doing conservative CCing on a normal skin tone type scene.  If you want to go a bit crazy with a funky look on the element...it requires a bit of a different workflow.  Thats o.k  and doeable.

Actually it shouldn't matter what you do with the foreground element...you could tint the whole thing green after you pulled the green screen...makes no difference.  As long as the green screen key is -first- in the effects list, anything that comes after doesn't affect the key... everything afterward is downsteeam from the key.  So your funky tint would only be present on the keyed element provided it's a clean matte.

I used to do this all the time as a demo of the effects mechanics in Premiere Pro...back in version 1 and 1.5.  You can flip the effects in the Effect Control panel and see the difference immediately when the order changes.

PPro and AE aren't nodal...it's pretty straight through....

• 31. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                      shooternz Level 6

Hey Tim

This week I  have 2 of 3 TVCs that I need to post produce.

All include  Green screen keying

The first I did  pre Colorista but I had the advantage of  MPE and I was able to post it all real time in PPRO. Brilliant experience and I never needed AEFX and intermediates in the workflow as per previous edits.

These next two  I will be able to have the time to seriously experiment (and explore)  with both MPE and now Colorista II in my system.

Looking forward to "pushing the boat out"  a bit regarding keys and CC and I have taken on board your input.

Basically my workflow is ..edit and key (Ultra) realtime... then apply Colorista II and go for it as online post.

Colorista II is absolutely my favourite plugin of the moment in every respect.  I have now spent a fair bit of "play time with it doing CC, grades, vignettes "looks", key framing masks/CC/secondaries,  etc...

HSL control really rocks.

Excited... hell yeah!

• 32. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                        joshtownsend Level 2

About the keying question. You could nest the FG and BG seperate or nest them together to CC the whole thing. Another option would be to use the CII keyer to subtract the greenscreen from your foreground element.  You could add a power mask and use it as a garbage mask .

Is that what your asking?

• 33. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                          AudoWarp Level 1

Is there a reason I can't get any of the sliders to scrub in

the trial version of Colorista 2?  Values only change when the mouse button is clicked.

• 34. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                            rejdmast1 Level 2

"I think this lack of a visible mask line is unfortunate."

Has Red Giant made any progress on this?

• 35. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                              Tim Kolb Level 1

shooternz wrote:

Hey Tim

This week I  have 2 of 3 TVCs that I need to post produce.

...

Excited... hell yeah!

Hey Shooternz...

How did your spots go?...  Hopefully whatever advice you received here was helpful...

• 36. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                                Tim Kolb Level 1

rejdmast1 wrote:

"I think this lack of a visible mask line is unfortunate."

Has Red Giant made any progress on this?

I haven't heard anything yet...

I'd imagine that, like the slider action in the interface, it's probably something that will take some effort from both Adobe and Red Giant.

I'm completely in favor of keeping the heat turned up however...  I've become addicted to Colorista 2.

I recently went back and had to do another pass on the first project I did with it as I just went a little secondary mask vignette-crazy in retrospect...

• 37. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                                  shooternz Level 6

Actually Tim.. the spots went fine and the advices certainly helped.

The more I play with and learn Colorista the better it becomes for me. There is a lot to it.

I would add that UltraKey and Colorista in tandem are awesome but I also found that Ultra Key and some of the built in PPRO FX ( eg Levels) are also superb and because they are  driven realtime..they are mind blowingly fast and efficient.

CS5, MPE, 64bit, UltraKey and plugins such as Colorista II have really cranked my crank.

• 38. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                                    proenza Level 1

Hello!

I've got the same problem...

error message in premiere cs5 with colorista 2. no problem with after effects cs5

and colorista 1 works fine with premiere cs5 and aftereffects cs5

thanks

----------

core 2 duo E8200

5GB ram

500 gb hd 7200 rpm

windows 7 enterprise 64 bit

ati radeon hd3800 series

• 39. Re: Colorista II coming out tommorow....
                                                                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Some issues with Colorista were fixed with the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update.

1 2 Previous Next