4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 1:35 PM by PhotogCda

Drag effects onto empty tracks

PhotogCda Level 1

I'm trying to follow this video tutorial, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CmvqocHKDY.  When it comes to the part where

the blur effect is dragged onto an empty track (1:50), I can't get that to work.  I click on the Effects tab, open Video Effects then Blur & Sharpen and Gaussian Blur.  Clicking and dragging onto track 3 I get the circle with the slash through it - verboten.  I can drag and drop it onto track 2 or track 1, no problem, but that's not where it's supposed to go, apparently.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Drag effects onto empty tracks
          Kita41

He is not dropping the effcts in an empty track. watch this again. the blur effects is applied to the title that he created and called it blur effects. i tried it and it worked. hope this helps

• 2. Re: Drag effects onto empty tracks
            PhotogCda Level 1

Thanks.  I could swear he says 'I'm gonna grab the blur effect and drag it onto video line 3'.  When he applies the Track Matte Key it's on video line 3.

• 3. Re: Drag effects onto empty tracks
              pebalsamo Level 2

PhotogCda wrote:

Thanks.  I could swear he says 'I'm gonna grab the blur effect and drag it onto video line 3'.  When he applies the Track Matte Key it's on video line 3.

He does say that but what he is talking about is the title that he created that he names "Blur Effect". It is not effect called "Blur" that he is dropping on video 3.  So he drops the title on video 3 (which is just a white box) and then drags it out to be the same length as the video clip.  That title (white box) is just being used as the Matte for the mosaic effect.

Phil

• 4. Re: Drag effects onto empty tracks
                PhotogCda Level 1

OK, got it.  Now it works.  And I can apply a gradient fill to the matte box to mimic the DOF look, then repeat the process in the other direction for the other side of the effect.

Thanks.