4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2007 3:51 PM by cozzabags

duplicate web layer

cozzabags
      Hi all,

I've been searching and can't find the answer to this. I have tried to move on to Fireworks from Imageready now I have no choice, but I am having trouble finding the same features that imageready offered... Could anyone tell me:

1. How do I duplicate a sub-layer in the Web Layer? I have a set of buttons with rollover states. In Imageready I could create one set with the OFF state, then duplicate that and it would keep all the slice names the same. Then I could just change the OFF bit to ON at the end of each title. Does anyone know a good way of doing this in Fireworks?

2. If I duplicate a slice, can I keep the filename the same?

Thanks for your help.
        • 1. Re: duplicate web layer
          Level 7
          cozzabags wrote:

> Hi all,
          >
          > I've been searching and can't find the answer to this. I have tried to move on
          > to Fireworks from Imageready now I have no choice, but I am having trouble
          > finding the same features that imageready offered... Could anyone tell me:
          >
          > 1. How do I duplicate a sub-layer in the Web Layer? I have a set of buttons
          > with rollover states. In Imageready I could create one set with the OFF state,
          > then duplicate that and it would keep all the slice names the same.

Instead of playing with the web layer, duplicate the button images in a
          second frame. Each state of a button should be on a separate frame. By
          naming the slice over the image in frame 1, mybutton for example, the
          image in frame 2 will automatically be named mybutton_f2.

Linda R.
          ----------
          • 2. Re: duplicate web layer
            cozzabags Level 1
            Thanks for your reply Linda. This would be handy for things such as Rollover states, where Button's will remain the same shape in slice. I still wish there was a way I could have one slice on top of another and just turn them on or off as they are needed!

Thanks for your help and putting things into perspective, much appreciated.
            • 3. Re: duplicate web layer
              Level 7
              cozzabags wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Linda. This would be handy for things such as Rollover
              > states, where Button's will remain the same shape in slice.

But they will. The frames are where the stacks are located, not the web
              layer. The web layer rides on top of everything.

Here's a description that might help to get your head around the concept
              of the way frames work in Fireworks.

Frames are like the cells of an animation, but instead of being in a
              strip, as they are in a film, they are stacked on top of each other, as
              they are in a flip book. On each frame you can have many layers--the
              background layer, a tree image layer, a house image layer. Unless you
              instruct Fireworks to share these layers across the frames, each frame
              will have its own discrete set of layers.

When you draw a slice over frame one, the slice creates a cutting guide
              that affects all the material on the frames below frame 1 as well. Let's
              say you have 6 frames. Naming the slice on frame 1 automatically names
              all the images stacked under it in frames 2 through 6 as well. Each
              frame will be exported as a separate image, named sequentially, as
              myimage, myimage_f2, myimage_f3, etc.

--
              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              http://www.projectseven.com
              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              • 4. Re: duplicate web layer
                cozzabags Level 1
                Thanks Linda,

That does explain things a little better, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. I do think this is a good way of doing rollovers, it is fairly straightforward.

My main beef with Fireworks is that you can't have layer sets that sit on top of each other, then we wouldn't need to use frames for rollovers in the first place.

Thanks very much for your time, much appreciated.
                Paul