4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 5:32 AM by JayNewWeb

Single-channel vs triple-channel memory

JayNewWeb

I'm doing in-house production of our business-presenation videos with Premiere Pro CS5. I export to AVI to process in Virtual Dub, then import-export to AVI to create FLV files and import into Encore for DVD images. (This is an overly simplified description of the workflow we've used to date in CS3, which I'm sure will change/streamline significantly now that we're starting to use CS5 with a Fermie-CUDA card.)

I have an HP z400 workstation. It has a Xeon 8-thread processor and it runs DDR3 RAM. It has 4 memory banks. It also supports triple-channel functioning, which of course only works if exactly three of the four memory banks are in use.

The machine came with a total of 8GB of RAM, consisting of 4x 2GB.

I want to make a decision as to whether I should:

A. Leave it as is -- 8GB single-channel.

B. Remove the stick from the fourth bank -- making it 6GB triple-channel.

C. Put in 3x 4GB for 12GB triple-channel.

The expense of going to 12GB means I'd have to wait a couple weeks, meaning I still need to choose between A and B anyway. And it would be nice to somehow get a feel for how much things will change.

Thanks!

Jay

• 1. Re: Single-channel vs triple-channel memory
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Jay,

The amount of memory will have a bigger impact than dual or triple channel, is my guess. No hard data to substantiate the difference between dual or triple channel, but especially with MPEG encoding, the amount of memory is crucial. Do not forget that reducing the amount of memory in order to get triple channel will also entail more page file operations, and that is really slow and will far outweigh the speed advantage of triple channel access.

• 2. Re: Single-channel vs triple-channel memory
            JayNewWeb Level 1

Harm,

Should I also assume that moving up from 8GB will help "noticeably" overall when the budget permits? Or that not necessarily going to change much?

And if so, would you care to comment on 12GB (which would be triple-channel) vs 16GB (single-channel) overall?

I know these are subjective, depending on my specific tasks, but I'm wondering if an overall view is realistic. If not, I totally understand.

Thanks.

Jay

• 3. Re: Single-channel vs triple-channel memory
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jay,

I thought you were going for a new system?

If so, you are in a luxury position. You can tear out the current 8 GB and install 3 x 4G sticks improving the amount to 12 GB, which will probably show you an increased performance of around 10 - 20 % on MPEG encodes. Then when you have your new system, you can move the 3 x 4 sticks to the new system and reinstall the current 8 G in this backup system.

• 4. Re: Single-channel vs triple-channel memory
                JayNewWeb Level 1

Harm,

After much inquiry, it seems the current system will do just fine with the GTX-470 after all, and that in fact the system is virtually comparable to what I plan to build. Yes, I do still plan to build one and do what you suggest in fact, partly as a backup machine and partly to let an assistant help with editing.

I have yet to prepare a detailed post to explain how that situation resolved itself... which probably has to be updated on a couple of threads. Will do soon.

Jay