2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 10:32 AM by rshin

Get audio/song duration before completely loaded

SreckoMicic

Is it possible to somehow get aprox song duration (length) before song is completely loaded?

mediaPlayer.duration is inacurate in first several seconds of playing, until entire song is loaded and that produces many wrong calculations in my player (playhead marker expecially) during that time. Is only way to dig that from ID3?

I am trying to make player same as on djdownload.com, and need this fast loading feature they have. Anyone have some suggestions?

• 1. Re: Get audio/song duration before completely loaded
          foolish3737 Level 1

I'm not sure about audio but I have mine set up to get the video duration (before being fully loaded) by adding a listener to mediaPlayer.addEventListener(MediaPlayerCapabilityChangeEvent.CAN_SEEK_CHANGE, onCanSeek);

Within the onCanSeek method I'm able to get the mediaPlayer.duration value.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Get audio/song duration before completely loaded
            rshin

Have you tried "pre-load" before you play and get the value?

This was part of examples previously demonstrated in the previous version of OSMF example player. (There might be a few glitch if this is used in a complex media element)

After media element creation, you could call a function like this.

preload(audioElement, false);

private static function preload(mediaElement:MediaElement, doPlayPause:Boolean):void
                    {
                        var loadTrait:LoadTrait = mediaElement.getTrait(MediaTraitType.LOAD) as LoadTrait;
                        if (doPlayPause)
                        {           
                            loadTrait.addEventListener(LoadEvent.LOAD_STATE_CHANGE, onLoadStateChange);
                        }           
                        loadTrait.load();

function onLoadStateChange(event:LoadEvent):void
                        {
                            if (event.loadState == LoadState.READY)
                            {   
                                var playTrait:PlayTrait = mediaElement.getTrait(MediaTraitType.PLAY) as PlayTrait;
                                loadTrait.removeEventListener(LoadEvent.LOAD_STATE_CHANGE, onLoadStateChange);

playTrait.play();                   
                                playTrait.pause();                       
                            }               
                        }

}

Ryan