11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 3:57 AM by MurraySummers

Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.

bluelaich

Hi Folks

I learned early on how to backup site definitions, but is there anything else I have to manually backup to ensure that Dreamweaver CS4 will always retain its awareness of all the linked templates and library items etc. that it controls.

If I had to reinstall Dreamweaver, or restore my operating system from an image that was made weeks or months ago, would Dreamweaver still be able to work its magic and correctly populate updates to all the connected pages? Where does it keep this information? Is it all just in the webpage itself or is there a file somewhere. A file that could be recovered from a wrecked and unbootable OS?

Cheers.

Brian

• 1. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
          Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

I learned early on how to backup site definitions, but is there anything else I have to manually backup to ensure that Dreamweaver CS4 will always retain its awareness of all the linked templates and library items etc. that it controls.

All of that information is stored in the Site files themselves, so be sure to update all files in your Site.

HTH,

Randy

• 2. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
            bluelaich Level 1

Hi Randy…………Sorry , when you say ‘site files’ do you just mean all the .html .dwt .lib files that I have created as a part of the site? All the stuff in the single folder where I keep everything? Is there nothing else outside of this folder that helps Dreamweaver to keep track of templates and linked pages etc?

When you say be sure to update all files in the site what updates exactly do you mean? When I change a template or library item I do of course allow the dependant pages or items to be updated. I do this locally and then synchronise with the actual site on the server.

Cheers

Brian.

• 3. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
              MurraySummers Level 8

Is there nothing else outside of this folder that helps Dreamweaver to keep track of templates and linked pages etc?

Nothing.

When I change a template or library item I do of course allow the dependant pages or items to be updated. I do this locally and then synchronise with the actual site on the server.

Sounds like you are in good shape.

• 4. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
                Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

Hi Randy…………Sorry , when you say ‘site files’ do you just mean all the .html .dwt .lib files that I have created as a part of the site? All the stuff in the single folder where I keep everything?

Yes, I meant all the files that make up your site from the root folder through all sub-folders.

I think most ISPs automatically backup all copies of the remote files on the server. But, it is not required that you post .dwt and .lib files to your server, so if you don't, be sure to back them up locally.

HTH,

Randy

• 5. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
                  bluelaich Level 1

Thanks Guys…….really appreciate your time.

The new site is just getting bigger than I could manually keep track of and I had one of those little realisation moments that I’d be in trouble if Dreamweaver lost its ability to update everything. Good to know it’s all in the site itself as I’m never likely to lose that considering how obsessive I am about backups.

Live Long

Brian.

• 6. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
                    bluelaich Level 1

Back again

I want to restart this thread because after restoring my system to an earlier time I have found not everything survives. It’s mainly personal configuration settings of Dreamweaver that don’t carry over so I figure there must be a setting somewhere to save and transfer such stuff.

The main thing is that the status of cloaked items are not there, which is not good, but I have discovered that they are saved in the Site Definitions backup, so as long as I do a definitions backup just before restoring my system I can re-apply that to the older Dreamweaver, however it requires deleting the current definitions for the site or the new import is seen as a new site and renamed.

Personally saved code snippets are also not there, but I’ve found they are saved in an Adobe folder in the user document folders and copying over this entire folder does the trick for snippets and a few other things like workspaces and personal dictionary. I’ve yet to really use my restored system so no doubt there’s much more to be discovered.

For WinXP that folder path is - C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4

So before I spend more time on this does anyone know the recommended way or built-in backup setting to transfer all data to a restored system? It’s such an obvious required function that it’s probably staring me right in the face, but damned if I can see it. If almost everything personal is in that Adobe folder with no other connections to the registry or the like, then that will do nicely for most things as it could even be recovered from an unbootable operating system. The cloaked items saved in site definitions requires a bootable system to make the backup, so it would be good to know where they are saved. I even tried swapping over the entire Dreamweaver Program Files Folder but this did not do it.

Regards

Brian

• 7. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
                      MurraySummers Level 8

I don't try to restore everything when I do this.  I save snippets, and custom server behaviors, and workspaces from the location you mentioned, and I do full site definition backups - that's all.  The rest is easy to reconfigure as needed.

• 8. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
                        bluelaich Level 1

Cheers Murray……. Seems I have most stuff covered but it would be nice to find a kosher way to do everything. The cloaked item thing is my greatest concern as it can’t be right that I have to first delete the entire site from Dreamweaver before I can import the definitions back in. I’d also like to be able to recover them from a dead OS.

As you say a lot of stuff is easy to reconfigure and most cloaked items – templates, library items etc would be easy to re-cloak, but I will always have at least several pages under construction and the cloaked marker was a good way to mark them out. Having to search through hundreds of pages to find them again would be time consuming and prone to errors. Oh…. a light just came on, why don’t I keep them in a separate folder and just move them when they are ready? Think I’ll try that….wait, what about pages under a rewrite, I suppose I could make a duplicate to work on……

I’ll post back to this thread when I find a complete solution.

Regards

Brian

• 9. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
                          MurraySummers Level 8

Seems I have most stuff covered but it would be nice to find a kosher way to do everything. The cloaked item thing is my greatest concern as it can’t be right that I have to first delete the entire site from Dreamweaver before I can import the definitions back in

Importing a site def will create a duplicate of that named site.  Removing the old one is a simple process - select and click remove.

I’d also like to be able to recover them from a dead OS.

Dead OS?  Meaning an unbootable one?  That's a tough job.  On a PC these settings are in the Registry.  There are utilities that can get at that but I have never used one.  I'm not sure about how to do this on a Mac.

As you say a lot of stuff is easy to reconfigure and most cloaked items – templates, library items etc would be easy to re-cloak, but I will always have at least several pages under construction and the cloaked marker was a good way to mark them out. Having to search through hundreds of pages to find them again would be time consuming and prone to errors.

Well, this is an activity I had never thought of, and frankly will forget as soon as I've finished this reply.  I just can't see the benefit of doing it.  If I'm working on an existing site, I'll either name the "new" pages something like "test-pagename.php" until it's ready to go - that way they all sort together, and are not linked into the navigation.  Cloaking seems like too much extra work.

It will be interesting to hear how you finally settle your needs.

• 10. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
                            bluelaich Level 1

Cheers again Murray………The cloaking thing is to prevent unfinished pages even being uploaded to the server or being updated every time the whole site is synchronised. I may at times have a dozen or more pages not ready to go but when they are I just have to remove a check mark, instead of renaming the page and deleting the unfinished page from the server. Content common to all pages will change on a near daily basis, so the entire site needs to be synchronised regularly. Or am I missing something Murray? How do you deal with not uploading or constantly synchronising your unfinished ‘test’ pages?

Yes I meant an unbootable OS, something that happens to me occasionally as I do mistreat Windows quite a bit. I doubt information about the cloaked items would be retained in the registry, that wouldn’t make sense, but who said things have to be sensible.

Kind Regards

Brian.

• 11. Re: Backing-up Dreamweaver’s control of a site.
                              MurraySummers Level 8

I rarely synch UP prior to having a site finished.  And once synched, I rarely synch up again.  But in that case I can see how with more than 50 pages it would be a drag to have to scroll through looking for files that you were editing by name.  This scenario would make renaming a file that's being edited more attractive indeed.  It's true that the more complex your site's folder hierarchy, the more attractive a synch operation becomes - I guess I'm lucky not having many sites like that.