9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2010 11:44 AM by AJOrange

Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?

AJOrange

Hello,

On a review of the Sony NEX-5 (which I also have/use) at www.dpreview.com there is a section on comparison of RAW files and they say "Here we look at the RAW files processed through Adobe Camera Raw (in this case version 6.2 Beta)."

I was looking around and I don't see it, but I just found it odd that it was mentioned in a review posted nearly a month ago but there is nothing publicly available?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Yep, there is a 6.2 beta in private testing not public. I'm not sure exactly what the deal was regarding disclosure about their use of the beta in the review...that's above my pay grade, but normally, such a disclosure is discouraged (without express permission).

In terms of timing, ACR is updated 3-4 times per year. The last update was June 1. The timing of the next update can be extrapolated from that. If/when a public beta is made available, it'll be posted on Labs.Adobe.com and announced on the Lightroom Journal.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like a private beta for specific testers where you can imagine that Adobe would find the DPReview staff, with their extensive access to pre-release cameras, more useful to beta test with than you or I. 

I believe a new ACR version comes out about every 13 weeks, and my ACR 6.1 release candidate is dated mid-May, so I'd guess mid to late August if they make one available.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

ssprengel wrote:

...and my ACR 6.1 release candidate is dated mid-May, so I'd guess mid to late August if they make one available.

You know, they did ship the final GM for Camera Raw 6.1 the 1st of June, right? Are you still using the RC or the GM? If you are using the RC, you'll want to update to the GM.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The question was about the beta ACR so I am giving information relative to that.  Of course I am using the released version of ACR 6.1.

• 5. Re: Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?
                  AJOrange Level 1

I do see that that the RC of 5.7 went out April 5th, and the 6.1 RC followed on May 10th, and now that LR3 and CS5 are out the door maybe they have more time to spend on getting some additional camera support into ACR.  I hope to see a 6.2 RC soon!

Thanks again all, I had suspected DPR 'slipped' on that information - but I just had to ask on the off chance I missed something!

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?
                    Fabio.Kior

you tell me if AC 6.2 will also support the raw FUJI S200EXR?

I hope  you also because the s200 came out a long time and I'm tired of waiting  for a REALISE Adobe Camera Raw that supports FUJI S200...

• 7. Re: Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?
                      AJOrange Level 1

Common guys... even Apple is beating you to the punch on this one!  

• 8. Re: Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?
                        MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Unfortunately we were buried in feature work for CR 6.1 and Lightroom 3.0 (this pesky thing called lens corrections & perspective corrections) and therefore had to push back some of the camera support work we'd normally include. Don't worry, things are rolling.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Camera Raw 6.2 Beta?
                          AJOrange Level 1

Thanks Eric - my message was partially in jest, without RAW support I don't have much else to do besides make useless comments on forums