2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 2:27 PM by jsd99

VideoPlayer Chrome / Controls

VirtualCoder Level 1

Folks,

I need to develop controls for YouTube's chromeless player.

I am relatively new to Flex so it would be great if there was an example/tutorial on how to approach this.

I was thinking about reading up on FXG and then simply drawing everything dynamically. 

However, I have no idea how to convert those draw areas into mouseable & clickable controls.

Thanks again.

• 1. Re: VideoPlayer Chrome / Controls
          rtalton Level 4

You basically can just add buttons, sliders, etc to the interface to control the you tube player.

Below is one I threw together some time ago with a play/pause button, ET/total time label and a seek bar; a little skinning and styling added.

Hey, don't laugh, it works!

screen_shot.jpg

• 2. Re: VideoPlayer Chrome / Controls
            jsd99 Level 3

VirtualCoder wrote:

Folks,

I need to develop controls for YouTube's chromeless player.

I am relatively new to Flex so it would be great if there was an example/tutorial on how to approach this.

I was thinking about reading up on FXG and then simply drawing everything dynamically. 

However, I have no idea how to convert those draw areas into mouseable & clickable controls.

Thanks again.

Why bother with FXG? Flex has a whole slew of controls already. I made a custom YouTube player control and I used regular buttons and sliders (skinned) to do the layout.  The only thing I had to really invent from scratch was the volume slider, but that's just because I couldn't figure out how to skin a regular slider to do what the designer wanted.