3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 7:37 AM by TStewartFan

Reader 9.3.3 installs every time I start up my PC

soupshoe

I'm on Windows XP Professional, v 5.1.2600, Service Pack 2.

A while back I tried downloading and installing Adobe Reader 9.3.3 as an update to the old Reader I had. It never installed properly -- constant error messages, and it somehow wiped out the old Reader, too. IT told me about the FoxIt pdf reader, which I installed on a temporary basis until IT could get over here to investigate the Adobe Reader problem. While FoxIt was installed, I noticed that Adobe Reader 9.3.3 would attempt to install itself every. single. time. I. started. the. PC. Unsuccessfully! IT eventually came over to uninstall FoxIt and they found a way to successfully install Reader 9.3.3, but this application STILL tries to install itself every time I start up.

How do I get this to stop???? They tell me it has something to do with a script that's being called forth at startup ... ?????

• 1. Re: Reader 9.3.3 installs every time I start up my PC
          pwillener Level 8

Can you run msconfig and see what script is trying to run at startup?

P.S. it is really none of my business, but you know that Windows XP-SP2 is no longer a supported OS?

• 2. Re: Reader 9.3.3 installs every time I start up my PC
            soupshoe Level 1

I found the following Adobe-related applications in the startup tab when I ran msconfig:

Reader_sl.exe

AdobeARM.exe

Acrotray.exe

Acrobat_sl.exe

Unchecking their boxes did not solve the problem. Abobe Reader 9.3.3 still installs itself upon every startup, making startup last a full 6 minutes.

Are there any other suggestions about how to fix this?

P.S. When I look in Add/Remove Programs within the control panel, I see that I have Adobe Acrobat 9 (v. 9.0.0), Acrobat.com (v. 2.1.0.0), and something that labels itself Adobe Reader 9.3.2, but it is actually version 9.3.3.

• 3. Re: Reader 9.3.3 installs every time I start up my PC
              TStewartFan

Do you have anything added to the following in relations to Adobe Reader:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If so then just delete the key (back-up your registry before making changes to it) and see if the notiifcation goes away after you reboot.