• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to lighten very dark video ?

Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just converted an old (1973) VHS Wedding Video to an "avi" file.

Unfortunately the lighting at the wedding venue was very poor giving a very dark playback in spots.

I have raised the "brightness" by 40% ( a lot I think ) and "contrast" by 20% and now it is quite grainy.

Any suggestions or am I trying to achieve the impossible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Another thing to try... Place the clip on the timeline. Now, Copy it to a higher track. Turn off top track. Now, apply levels and brighten it up but make it overbright. Now ad a Blur to the clip... Not too blurry, but a bit.

Now, turn on top track and lower opacity of top track revealing the overbright blured track below. This should be able to get it brighter without adding grain. You will need to tweak it, but I've gotten acceptable results with old footage like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Increasing  noise (grain)  is going to be an issue.  You cant get detail where none exists due to the exposure.

Try LEVELS instead of brightness/contrast.

Then add CURVES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to try... Place the clip on the timeline. Now, Copy it to a higher track. Turn off top track. Now, apply levels and brighten it up but make it overbright. Now ad a Blur to the clip... Not too blurry, but a bit.

Now, turn on top track and lower opacity of top track revealing the overbright blured track below. This should be able to get it brighter without adding grain. You will need to tweak it, but I've gotten acceptable results with old footage like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For similar, I will start with Levels and adjust. I follow up with Highlight & Shadow (take that off of Auto, and maybe look at about 20 - 35%), then go back to Levels, if necessary. Curves is also very powerful, and might well do all that you require.

When one encounters the "grain," that Craig mentions, I find that Neat Video does a good job, at reducing the "grain," but will increase the processing time. I will then add a touch of Unsharp Mask, as the very last Effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines