8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 9:58 AM by Colin Brougham

"Not Responding" when importing FCP XML

richcampent Level 1

I'm trying to import a final cut XML file and it crashes everytime it gets to importing the files... Any tips or suggestions?

• 1. Re: "Not Responding" when importing FCP XML
          dradeke Adobe Employee
          1. trash your preferences http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/11/having_weird_behavior_with_an.html
          2. clean your media cache
          3. start a new project and try to import it.
          4. export another type (maybe XML 4 instead of XML5)
          5. run a disk check

Hope some of these suggestions help.

Dennis

• 2. Re: "Not Responding" when importing FCP XML
            Colin Brougham Level 6

The project conversion has a limited number of things that it can translate from FCP to PPro. Straight edits and simple effects and transitions shouldn't be a problem, but there have been issues with things like FCP's "Slug" and empty gaps in your FCP sequence. General practice has been to replace those sequence items with some sort of "physical" filler, like a graphic file that is simply a flattened black solid.

Also, check out Importing XML project files from Final Cut Pro for more particulars about what transfers and how it's mapped in Premiere. I've moved relatively simple edits from FCP to Premiere with no problems, so it does work; it's really just a matter of finding out what is not jiving with the project transfer.

• 3. Re: "Not Responding" when importing FCP XML
              richcampent Level 1

Thank you both! I will try again tonight!

On Jul 23, 2010 7:44 AM, Colin Brougham <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

The project conversion has a limited number of things that it can translate from FCP to PPro. Straight edits and simple effects and transitions shouldn't be a problem, but there have been issues with things like FCP's "Slug" and empty gaps in your FCP sequence. General practice has been to replace those sequence items with some sort of "physical" filler, like a graphic file that is simply a flattened black solid.

Also, check out http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSd9957a95a81082eb28f05af5126718c47be-800 0.html for more particulars about what transfers and how it's mapped in Premiere. I've moved relatively simple edits from FCP to Premiere with no problems, so it does work; it's really just a matter of finding out what is not jiving with the project transfer.

• 4. Re: "Not Responding" when importing FCP XML
                eckelsteve1 Level 1

Importing FCP only works for me if I import one video track at a time.  But that might have been the particular project I was working on, I don't know.

• 5. Re: "Not Responding" when importing FCP XML
                  richcampent Level 1

I've attempted all suggestions and have had no luck! What I am trying to import is not really sequences but the folders in which i've created clips of synced audio and video...

I've even tried deleting all the files and the sequences where I synced, it's just a bunch of bins with clips.

I'm willing to try anything to make this work! Thanks!

• 6. Re: "Not Responding" when importing FCP XML
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

If what you're really trying to do is import the bins, then try this:

• In FCP, take the folder(s) to the timeline
                    • Export the FCP XML (type 4 or 5)
                    • import the XML into Premiere Pro

Does that work?

• 7. Re: "Not Responding" when importing FCP XML
                      eckelsteve1 Level 1

that should work fine.  I would drag one bin per timeline, that way each timeline represents one bin.  But make sure that you remove in and out points for each clip, otherwise the clips in the timeline will be truncated.

Sounds like you have made subclips in FCP, let me know how that works, it should show up as separate video and audio.  PrPro does not support (at this time) subclips of separate audio and video.

If the clips don't show up, then subcliping may be the problem.  You might have to put all your subclips in a timeline, and match frame to the original shot and replace the subclip with the original unsunk video & audio. If you learn the shortkeys it can be done pretty quickly.  But hopefully the xml will translate the sublcip into the original footage.

• 8. Re: "Not Responding" when importing FCP XML
                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                        What I am trying to import is not really sequences but the folders in which i've created clips of synced audio and video...

My guess would be that this is the problem. Premiere doesn't support "clips" of this nature. In Premiere, a clip is a reference to a video file, and audio file, or a file containing both (Premiere calls them "movies")--at least at this time, Premiere cannot refer to BOTH a video file AND an audio file as one clip--and yes, I realize that P2 MXF is a bunch of separate files, but that's a different case altogether.

Anyway, I would imagine that Premiere is hanging up because it doesn't know which physical file to link to when importing the XML. Subclipping won't help here, because those are just virtual references to virtual references.

You might try throwing all of your synced clips into a sequence, deleting the synced clips from your bin (the timeline references should stay because they're actually pointing to the pre-synced audio-only and video-only clips), and then sending that to Premiere via XML. Short of exporting each synced clip as a standalone file, I don't think there is another way to work around this right now.