10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 11:08 PM by pwillener

How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?

YMS1975

For some reason, my Adobe Reader stopped working on me. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I just purchased Adobe Dreamweaver because it never gave me any problems before I installed Dreamweaver CS5. 

After installing Dreamweaver CS5, my Adobe Reader stopped completely. Now I uninstalled Adobe Reader and when I went to do a clean install I got the following error message :

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch".

How do I fix this?

• 1. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
          pwillener Level 8

What Reader version are you trying to install?  What is the installer that you are using?

• 2. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
            YMS1975 Level 1

I believe it's version 9.33.

It's a straight download from the Adobe website, so whatever installer is available from the site is what I'm using. When I install it a red box appears, and in the bottom left hand corner it says : "iNosso"and directly underneath it, it says "powered by inosltd.com" Above that you have your typical green progress bar indicating how far along the progress is coming.

I can tell you that I was using a trial version of Dreamweaver CS5, and then decided to purchase it. I purchased the serial number and maybe it's a coincidence but AFTER I entered in the serial number my Adobe Reader stopped working. Maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe it's not.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
              J.O.S. Level 1

Here is how I do a clean uninstall of Adobe Reader.

If you cannot uninstall Adobe Reader using Add/Remove Programs  then use something like the Windows Uninstaller Tool (if you google that it should let you to a download site)

Delete all files in these folders: :

c:\program files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\

c:\program files\common files\Adobe\Acrobat\Activex\

You may have to open up a command window with your administrator rights, cd to the folder, kill all explorer.exe processes, then use the command window to delete the files via command line.

(e.g.   taskkill /f /im explore* ;  del  acroiehelper.dll,  etc. etc.)

Then just relaunch Explorer.exe to restore the desktop.

In the registry delete these keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Repair\Acrobat Reader

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\AcroRd32.exe

Reboot the computer.

You should be able to reinstall Adobe Reader using the install file now.

• 4. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
                YMS1975 Level 1

I deleted the following folders (not just the files) :

c:\program files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\

c:\program files\common files\Adobe\Acrobat\Activex\

I then removed the following entries from my registry :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Repair\Acrobat Reader

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\AcroRd32.exe

I'm still getting the same error message. This is a noodle scratcher. 

• 5. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
                  pwillener Level 8

Did you use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Adobe Reader?  Although it is no longer supplied by Microsoft, it can still be obtained by various 3rd-party download sites like http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

• 6. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
                    YMS1975 Level 1

No,

Actually I tried a third-party software which seems good to me; it's called "Your Uninstaller Pro". It caught traces of the Adobe Reader and uninstalled the folders/files & registry entries but I'm STILL having the same problem. 

• 7. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
                      YMS1975 Level 1

RESOLVED!!!!

Well it wasn't as neat (or as pretty) as your suggestions (thanks btw....) but I found a work-around. I uninstalled all the folders/files as you suggested.

I then ran Your Uninstallation Pro software to make sure it was in fact a clean removal, and it picked up all the registry entries and related files.

Even after all that, it still wouldn't install 9.33.

So I did some surfing and came across a website : http://www.oldapps.com (as if the URL wasn't descriptive enough; a site that specializes in older versions of software).

I tried installing Adobe Reader 8.0 but that didn't work either. However I was able to install 7.0. I rebooted, and applied all the updates. I then upgraded to 8.0, applied all the updates and rebooted. Finally I was able to install 9.0, apply all the updates and reboot. So now I'm using 9.33 in perfect harmony. LOL.

I suddenly feel like lathering, rinsing, and repeating. 

• 8. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
                        pwillener Level 8

I would still try the Microsoft tool; if 'Adobe Reader' still shows up in the program list, then use the 'Remove' button to remove all remains of it.

If that does not work out, then I would try the 9.3 MSI installer http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3/enu/AdbeRdr930_en_US.msi, then manually update to 9.3.1, 9.3.2, and 9.3.3.

• 9. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
                          pwillener Level 8

Looks like we posted almost at the same time.

Your way was a little bit more complicated, but at least it worked at the end!

• 10. Re: How do I do a clean install of Adobe Reader?
                            pwillener Level 8

P.S. you can find all previous Adobe Reader versions by navigating the Adobe FTP site ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/

Message was edited by: ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ - typos.