4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 1:11 PM by phyllisj9

navigation buttons (slicing & hotspots)

phyllisj9 Level 2

I've created a graphic navigation menu composed of several buttons.  I've been slicing each one separately and assigning its link to the slice.  Would it be better to make just one slice of the whole bar and add hotspot links on top of that?  Or is it that pretty much the same either way?

Still learning!

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: navigation buttons (slicing & hotspots)
          JoyceEvans Level 3

I personally avoid hotspots. What I'd do is use the button image (without text) as a background in a CSS menu. Then add the text to a list. I really like the Project Seven Pop up Menu since it is excellant code and works across all browers. And it saves me a ton of time. But suckerfish shows you how to do it yourself and it's free  http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

• 2. Re: navigation buttons (slicing & hotspots)
            phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks!  I appreciate the links!

I'm new to Fireworks and am still figuring out what to do where.  Not sure if ultimately I'll make rollovers in Dreamweaver or if I'll do it in Fireworks.  Sometimes I work directly in coding also but am trying to figure out what's the most efficient.  I find it a little hard to identify exactly where Fireworks fits into the scheme.  I guess everybody works differently, and I'm slowly trying to figure out my own method.

Thanks,

Phyllis

• 3. Re: navigation buttons (slicing & hotspots)
              JoyceEvans Level 3

NEITHER please. Not very good code. If you want an image background do that in Fireworks but the menu code is done via a style sheet and lists in DW. Check out the Suckerfish instructions to get an idea of what I'm talking about:-)

• 4. Re: navigation buttons (slicing & hotspots)
                phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks.  I'm actually pretty familiar with writing HTML and CSS.  I've just had a few class projects that had to be done entirely in Fireworks (or Dreamweaver), so it led me to wonder which elements are easiest achieved in graphic programs. I used to hand-code most of the sites I worked on, and I spent too much time on that.  For image rollovers, I think Dreamweaver might be better than Fireworks, but I really don't know.

I'm currently studying sprite navigation in a CSS class.  It's really cool the way it works, but it's easy to spend too much time in the coding process.  I'm trying to get more into efficiently using graphic programs as well as editing code.

Thanks, Phyllis