11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 5:17 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black

Frank_Binko

I captured HDV video with a 1080i camera and PrEl into a HDV 1080i project (1440 x 1080, 25 fps).

Editing is fine, but export with:

Share>PC>Adobe Flash Video VP6, 640 x 360,

Share>PC>Windows Media Cable setting (with original fps) and

Share>Disc>Folder (DVD)  (but I think that's not possible, or does PrEl convert HDV into DV Widescreen while building a PAL DVD?!)

is just black video without any audio.

Share>PC>MPEG2>HDV 1440x1080i 25 is okay.

I did not try other settings.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be an outdated driver or dll.

You aren't using Windows 7 64-bit, are you?

Have you gone to Windows Update manually and downloaded even the non-critical updates?

Have you got the latest version of Quicktime? Quicktime plays an important role in all PC-based editing.

Finally, what program are you using to play these files that are coming out black? Are you playing the DVD on your TV's DVD player?

The problem could be your player. Or you could be missing the latest driver for your video card. Have you gone to the ATI or nVidia web site and downloaded the latest?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
            Frank_Binko Level 1

deleted myself because of duplicate content

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
              Frank_Binko Level 1

deleted myself because of duplicate content

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
                Frank_Binko Level 1

I'm using QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2 which is QT 7.6.6. Before it was 7.6.5. I wonder why this was important for FLV/DVD output?

But anyway, FLV output is okay now! Even without the black bars I always got with DV video (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2976247). Don't know if this was because of QT or just using my system the other day.

QuickTime 640x480 is okay, too, except for thick black bars on top/bottom.

But DVD output still does not work. I got HD video here but DVD is SD. So I wonder if DVD output is possible anyhow? Does PrEl downsize to SD when building a DVD?

• I'm using Windows XP SP2 32-bit.
                • I got all critical Windows Updates but I think I won't install ALL non-critical updates because there are many useless among. Do You know which non-critical updates could be relevant?
                • I'm using VLC, Media Player Classic, Windows Media Player and Nero ShowTime to test my videos. No TV/DVD-player. I imported the results in PrEl, too, if possible.

Perhaps I will try updating my video driver and non-critical Windows updates ... but not without a backup of my system. I had some bad experiences with latest drivers and software. But if video is shown in most cases, and in DV/SD workflow, I don't think it's because of driver/system updates.

Many thanks so far.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why haven't your Windows Updates taken you to XP SP3?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree that you should be on SP3 for XP. I would also install all of the hot-fixes and updates, critical, or not. To date, none has caused a problem for me and both main machines are running SP3 w/ all updates.

Now, as soon as you do the updates, download and install the very latest audio and video drivers from the mfgr's. site. Do not trust Windows to get the latest, and the same hold for any driver update utility. Those will likely be many versions old. Get the latest.

QT is relied upon by PrE much more than one would anticipate. It is not the same in PrPro, which does most things perfectly without QT at all. As for the version #'s, QT 7.6.3 and 7.6.4 caused many problems in Adobe programs. Version 7.6.6 seems to be much better. For me, the last known good version was 7.5.5 and works for almost everyone. Do not know about QT Alternative, so cannot comment on that.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
                      Frank_Binko Level 1

Sorry, I certainly have SP3! (My mind must have been on Vista's SP2 because it was a topic for me recently ...)

Okay, I think I will try to update my video driver and some non-critical Windows Updates after a backup.

But do I need "Windows PowerShell 2.0", "Windows Remote Management", Smartcard updates and several .NET language packs for PrEl? Are these non-critical? (The german description is "Software, optional" for those updates.)

I think QuickTime Alternative has got QT's core but not so much "around". In case I should install QT original.

Thanks for your comments and good wishes!

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
                        Frank_Binko Level 1

I updated my system:

• Windows optional Updates (except for Windows PowerShell 2.0, Windows Remote Management, Smartcard, Windows Search 4.0, Windows Automation API library and .NET 1.1 language pack) including two hardware updates
                        • ATI/AMD graphics adapter update (driver/WDM driver)

But my test export (WMV with cable modem settings and FLV export 720 x 576) are the same, black bars.

The WMV file has a smooth bar on top and bottom only for the video not for an insert/lower third at the bottom (see this screenshot). In the FLV file there is no smoothing but thick bars.

ScreenshotWMP_PrEl_WMV-Export.png

I think I will test a tryout version of PrEl in a VirtualBox (I installed PrEl from the original packaged DVD) with original QuickTime 7 if there are no further ideas.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m-m, black bars are almost always a mis-match of either Aspect Ratio, or Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR), between the Project's Preset, the Assets, or the Export settings. The Aspect Ratio and PAR must match 100% in all, or there will be black bars. Sometimes, it takes a little math to get everything to match, especially with some of the Export options.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
                            Frank_Binko Level 1

Yeah, I thought it must be aspect ratio/PAR, too. But I used 768 x 576 (instead of non-square 720 x 576) in export (I cannot change project settings and/or asset settings) and it didn't help. DV still got bars. Perhaps I should try some new math.

But good news: I exported FLV (640 x 360) and a DVD twice from a HDV-project with mixed DV wide and HDV videos and it suddenly worked! Don't know why.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 7: share/export HDV in FLV/WMV just black
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that things are working now!

Happy editing, and thanks for reporting your success,

Hunt