8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 1:44 PM by the_wine_snob

Key-Frame Video Transitions?

nickdclements Level 1

Is there anyway to Key-Frame Video Transitions in Premiere?

• 1. Re: Key-Frame Video Transitions?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Which Transitions are you talking about? What do you wish to animate about those Transitions? The more detail, the easier it will be to give you a definitive answer. In very general terms, it will be no, but then it will depend on what you wish to animate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Key-Frame Video Transitions?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Anything that falls under the "Video Transitions" category in Premiere is self-animating; in other words, the beginning of the transition is one state, and the end of the transition is another state. In between, frames are interpolated to form the particular transition. There are some parameters you can change--for example, the direction of a transition, or a border color, for instance--but there are keyframeable parameters.

Some effects can be utilized as transitions, and in fact, there is a subcategory under Video Effects called Transitions. These involve stacking two clips in an A/B fashion, instead of end-to-end, but you can keyframe those "transitions." It really comes down to what you're trying to achieve.

• 3. Re: Key-Frame Video Transitions?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              It really comes down to what you're trying to achieve.

I agree completely!

Hunt

• 4. Re: Key-Frame Video Transitions?
                nickdclements Level 1

Yeah, I was hoping for maybe ways to slow down or pause.... even reverse transitions... (like in aftereffects) but no they are not designed that way in Premiere, i was just hoping i was missing something.

One workaround is to nest a clip with a transition applied and use Time remapping... but you can get some really bad jittering that way...

• 5. Re: Key-Frame Video Transitions?
                  thenoisystuff Level 1

I think an equivalent in Avid would be to ease in and out of a transition (profile as oppose to linear) like you might with a motion control parameter. This isn't an option with Premiere although similar results might be achieved using Transition options in Effects with a little coaxing - as the venerable Hunt suggests.

• 6. Re: Key-Frame Video Transitions?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With some transitions (not Transitions), one can create them, such as with Opacity for Cross-Dissolves, and then Keyframe those Effects. That is where Colin and I were headed. Most Transitions can only be adjusted via whatever attribute dialog, if any, is presented.

The Nesting is a very good way to make some changes too.

Often several ways to skin that cat...

For more control, you also might want to look into Pixelan's SpiceMaster, or ProDAD's Adorage, as many of their Transitions can be altered in some very interesting ways. Pixelan is kind of a "roll your own," plug-in, and offers some very useful control. Well worth the $, and cannot say too much about how great their support is - should be the paradigm for all software companies, IMHO.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Key-Frame Video Transitions?
                      thenoisystuff Level 1

I agree, Pixelan's support is first rate and their software is pretty solid - fully CS5 64bit.  I have Spicemaster Pro and it's an excellent package for the money giving plenty of variable parameters for transitions.

• 8. Re: Key-Frame Video Transitions?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are ahead of the game. Nice to know that it is 64-bit now too, as I only have it for my older PrPro, and did not know about that aspect.

Thanks - I leaned something new today!

Hunt