5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 3:20 PM by nealeh

covert VHS tape to avi or mpeg or wmv

22163991 Level 1

I need to convert VHS tapes into files, not a DVD!

What is the way to turn the captured VHS footage on the PE7 timeline into an avi or mpeg or wmv and have it not fuzzy and the file small enough for one DVD?

My customer wants to edit the files using another software so can't use the DVD files I normally produce by just burning the DVD.

They said they need the files to be one of these:

.asf

.avi

.dib

.fpx

.mov

.mp2

.mp3

.mpeg

.mpg

.pct

.pcx

,.png

.ras

.stv

.tga

.wav

.wma

.wmv

the avi was GIGANTIC I tied, the wmv was grainy

• 1. Re: covert VHS tape to avi or mpeg or wmv
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For editing, you may not have both small size and high quality

DV AVI Type 2 with 16bit 48khz sound is the best there is for conversion from VHS for editing

Anything else is HIGHLY compress and designed for playback only, not for editing

Tell your customer to provide you with a hard drive to store and ship the files

Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549?tstart=0

Go to my notes page at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM and click the link about editing compressed files

• 2. Re: covert VHS tape to avi or mpeg or wmv
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with John T, and also recommend (and use) the external HDD's, due to the file sizes (roughly 13GB per hour). About the only other option is to use a software that allows one to "span" multiple DVD-Data discs, like Norton Ghost. Still, the client would need to also own that software and would need to "extract" those files from multiple DVD-Data discs, to work on them.

A high-capacity (new one coming out soon) BD-Data disc will get you closer to transferring on a single disc, but an external handles that easily.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: covert VHS tape to avi or mpeg or wmv
              22163991 Level 1

all i can say is thanks, you rule

In a message dated 7/23/2010 3:57:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

I agree  with John T, and also recommend (and use) the external HDD's, due

to the file  sizes (roughly 13GB per hour). About the only other option is

to use a  software that allows one to "span" multiple DVD-Data discs, like

Norton Ghost.  Still, the client would need to also own that software and

would need to  "extract" those files from multiple DVD-Data discs, to work on 

them.

A high-capacity (new one coming out soon) BD-Data disc will  get you closer

to transferring on a single disc, but an external handles that  easily.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: covert VHS tape to avi or mpeg or wmv
                22163991 Level 1

all i can say is thx, you rule

you need a % of my pay

check is in the mail LOL

thx again sir

In a message dated 7/23/2010 3:37:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

For  editing, you may not have both small size and high quality

DV AVI  Type 2 with 16bit 48khz sound is the best there is for conversion

from VHS for  editing

Anything else is HIGHLY compress and designed for  playback only, not for

editing

Tell your customer to provide you  with a hard drive to store and ship the

files

Read Bill Hunt on  editing a VOB/MPG file

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549?tstart=0

Go to  my notes page at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM and

click the link  about editing compressed  files

• 5. Re: covert VHS tape to avi or mpeg or wmv
                  nealeh Level 5

What software does your customer intend to use to further edit the files?

There are many (free) programs that can split a file across multiple discs and reassemble it at the other end. I recommend the 7-Zip archive program as it is GPL (hence usable in a commercial environment) and has straightforward spilt & combine features.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children