8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2010 7:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Problems Burning DVD in PRE7

Ludders123

Hi

I am having trouble burning a project to DVD.  The preocess goes just fine until the actual burning stage.  Then it starts to bur, but then I get an unknown error and the disc ejects.  The very begining of the project is there on the disc, but only about the first 2 or 3 seconds.

Please offer suggestions!

Thanks you all.

Mark.

• 1. Re: Problems Burning DVD in PRE7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us more details, such as your Project Preset and your source footage, plus the Duration of your Timeline? Next, please tell us about your computer's I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, amount of free space, controller type and how you have them allocated.

There are many large working files produced, when one goes to author and burn a DVD, and it is common for people to just run out of real estate, and at the point that you describe.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - also, what brand of blank media are you using and what is its speed?

• 2. Re: Problems Burning DVD in PRE7
            Ludders123 Level 1

The source footage is from a sony digital camcorder.  The timeline is just over 3 minutes.  I am using a Sony Vaio laptop with a dual core 1.66Ghz processor, 2GB RAM, 72GB free on the C drive and a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device internal drive.

I have tried 2 types of media - Tesco DVD+R 8x and Verbatim DVD+R 16x and I had the same result on both.

Does this help?

Thanks for the support.

• 3. Re: Problems Burning DVD in PRE7
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD

Read all links/sub-links to create a "best" burned disc
              Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660?tstart=0
              #2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390
              Plus a Microsoft note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
              And another note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116
              • 4. Re: Problems Burning DVD in PRE7
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I did a Google search on this drive and lots of issues came up for it on Sony VAIOs!

Here's the fix they link to.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNN320E&upd_id=2653&os_id=28

• 5. Re: Problems Burning DVD in PRE7
                  WasOz Level 1

John I have had a look at you post on things to avoid but I am having a similar problem

In the share burn to disc - Status: No Burner Detected

Of your things to avoid the only thing I have installed is Norton

I previously had no problems burning from PRE 7, the problem appears to have arisen after installing CS5 and Lightroom 3. Do you know of anything that installing these would have done to cause a problem. I have noticed that trying to burn in PRE7 results in the drive designation in explorer turning from DVD-RW to CD. So it does appear to be something related to PRE7. Without the burn attempt it shows up as DVD-RW

thanks for your advice

• 6. Re: Problems Burning DVD in PRE7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the main causes of a DVD drive changing to a CD drive is Quicken, the accounting program. It is not the only culprit, but is a big one. What happens with Quicken is that if one does a Save-to-Disc, and chooses a CD, Quicken will launch the first packet-writing software that it can fine, like Roxio, Nero, or the built-in CD burning module in Windows. Once that happens, the drive will be seen as a CD drive, and will also be flagged as a virtual HDD for packet-writing. Other programs can do the same. If one has Roxio, Nero, or has ever used a program that invokes the Windows disc-writing module, it will remain that way. This ARTICLE will give you some background, plus will link to some others, including John T's Encore FAQ.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problems Burning DVD in PRE7
                      WasOz Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply Hunt

I looked at John's post as a means of trying to solve the problem. It is doing exactly what you describe. I understand your comments on Quicken etc but the problems seems to have arisen after installing CS5 and Lightroom 3. It would surprise me if they loaded something which results in PRE7 burning. I also tried one of the links to Micrsoft Mr Fixit which confirms that the drive will not write. Even though it does in other programs.

I am getting to think I might need more than luck and that the days of burning from premiere are over

Regards

Warren

• 8. Re: Problems Burning DVD in PRE7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Warren,

I cannot imagine any setting in Lightroom, that might get in the way.

It is more likely some other program, or having used the Windows Burning module for some operation elsewhere.

As a test, create a new System Restore Point (for now), and then boot to Safe Mode. Choose an older System Restore Point, prior to all recent installations. Go back in history, to a point when things did work, and then test. What happens? You always have today's System Restore Point, should nothing work, and nothing will be lost.

Good luck,

Hunt