15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2010 2:25 PM by mponeill@bell.net

Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7

scouse power

Worked ok on Vista, After

installing Windows 7 (Clean & Install) Adobe Reader won't install on windows 7, goes through the process says 100% installation complete, then nothing. Any ideas.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of Adobe Reader?

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
            scouse power Level 1

Hi Michael,

The latest (9.3.3), although I tried to download an earlier version and the

download page went to the latest version.

Cheers

Charlie

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
              pwillener Level 8

Try downloading this installer http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe, save it to disk, then close all browser windows and other applications and run the downloaded installer.

If the error persists, check if any antivirus or firewall is blocking the successful completion of the installation.
              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                What?No!

I'm having the same problems.  I run with (and disabled) Microsoft Security Essentials.  I'm just running the install from the downloaded .EXE; it gets to 100% of processing (on the install screen) and then just sits there.  No extra disk access, no CPU usage, it just sits there.

I've tried this with multiple browsers, with all applications closed, reboots in between.  There's something wrong with 9.3.3

This all started because ever since 9.3.3 I've been getting Reader 109 errors telling me all these PDF files I've been trying to view have been corrupted in some way (but not all of them).  Then it seemed mostly linked to using with Google browser, but then it seemed like it was doing it using the Reader application straight.

So I thought the best thing to do was uninstall all my adobe stuff, reboot, and re-install all of it again.  Now I've got no PDF reading capabilities at all.  Very frustrating.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                  scouse power Level 1

Hi tried what you suggested downloaded onto disc, closed all browsers etc and disabled anti virus, still the same installs to 100% then just sits there and nothing else happens. Any other suggestion would be great.

Cheers

Charlie

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                    pwillener Level 8

As I wrote in my earlier post, it may be that your antivirus software or firewall is blocking something during the installation.

As another approach, you may try to install 9.3.0 and then apply the updates

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                      scouse power Level 1

Hi, Tried switching off anti virus /  firewall but no difference, so installed older version 9.1.0. which works ok. Reluctant to update to 9.3.3. as I'm not the only one having issues with this version. Thanks for all your help and suggestions Charlie.

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                        KeiOffice

guys, i have this EXACT same problem

the installer  tries to install via Adobe AIR (have tired standalone install too) and  just gets to 100% download/check and closes. no error, no nothing

im on windows 7 ultimate and nod32, tried turning off security, firewalls, protection etc with NO luck

heres what i did as a workaround.

C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Adobe\Reader 9.3\Setup Files\Reader9

and run Setup.exe there manually should install.  (if you see nothing in the directory, try running installer then pausing on 100%

i would liek to know what exactly the problem is and what Adobe will be doing to address it.

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                          erich.enke

Perhaps my situation can shed a little light on it.

I'm seeing the same thing -- regular download (with download manager) didn't work for beans.  The offered direct link, both on the site (Click here to download) and in this and other forums did NOT work either.  Got to 100% and just flat out died.

So I went to try the above suggestion, trying to find the local app settings folder for Adobe, but since I'm running XP sp3, it was in a little different place for me:

C:/Documents and Settings/***YOUR USERNAME***/Local Settings/Application Data/Adobe/Reader 9.3/Setup Files/Setup.exe

Or so I thought.  Upon opening that Setup.exe, I got an immediate crash.  The window instantly closed with no other indication at all.  No error, no anything.  So I tried running it from the command line.  Nothing.  It just exits.

Then I found the Reader9 subdirectory with ITS own Setup.exe.  That one worked.  So the Setup.exe that worked was here:

C:/Documents and Settings/***YOUR USERNAME***/Local Settings/Application  Data/Adobe/Reader 9.3/Setup Files/Reader9/Setup.exe

(forward slashes because I use cygwin and I don't want to change them all)

Now I have Adobe Reader 9 installed.  Strange thing, when I go back to run the other non-working Setup.exe file, now I get a window saying it's configuring the install, and then it crashes.  Didn't have even that much before.

So, it seems that they have one exe handing off to another, and the direct install link being offered might be more direct than the download manager, but may still not be as direct as it could be.  The exe handoff seems not to be working.

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                            hit.anand Level 1

I havent faced this issue as such on my WIN 7 OS. Worked fine for me.

You might be able to find the cause behind the problem by creating the error log for the installer, using the following commandline switch:

AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe /l

the "\l" switch will create an error log (if any) in the temp directory. (%temp% \ BootStrap.log)

If you can share the log details, it may help in deciphering what exactly is the root cause behind your problem.

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                              What?No! Level 1

Thanks for the flag!  Here's the BootStrap.log:

Initialization: Product1 - Unable to get Product Version, not mandatory.

Initialization: Product1 - Unable to get Product Code, not mandatory but application wonInitialization: Product1 - Unable to get Upgrade Code, not mandatory but application wonCheck entered

Upgrade code:

{A6EADE66-0000-0000-484E-7E8A45000000}Product code from ini: code:

{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A93000000001}Reader: MsiEnumRelatedProducts with Upgrade Code {A6EADE66-0000-0000-484E-7E8A45000000} failed.

CriteriaCheck: Criteria Reader of Product1 - Failed.

InstallProduct: Product2 - CreateProcess failed, Cmdline=D:\Users\my account\AppData\Local\Adobe\Reader 9.3\Setup Files\Reader9\Setup.exe /rs PATCH="AdbeRdrUpd932_all_incr.msp;AdbeRdrUpd933_all_incr.msp" Error=193 .

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                                What?No! Level 1

Thanks, the setup.exe at the lowest level of the adobe reader install hierarchy worked just fine and 9.3.3 installed with no issues.  Here's where it was located on my Windows 7 machine:

D:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Adobe\Reader 9.3\Setup Files\Reader9\Setup.exe

• 13. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                                  JuniorJul

Similar experiences to the previous complaints. Turned off all security, saved to desktop, ran from exe file to no avail. Tried installing directly from website, no luck. I tried the earlier version, but received a network error messge. Aborted, tried again, same message. Ignored, same message. I don't have any of the paths or extentions to run the exe file as suggested in this blog, so I'm at a dead end. Any other suggestions? Note: I'm non-technical and don't feel comfortable altering file extensions as a previous user suggested.

Message was edited by: JuniorJul

• 14. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                                    erich.enke Level 1

JuniorJul wrote:

Similar experiences to the previous complaints. Turned off all security, saved to desktop, ran from exe file to no avail. Tried installing directly from website, no luck. I tried the earlier version, but received a network error messge. Aborted, tried again, same message. Ignored, same message. I don't have any of the paths or extentions to run the exe file as suggested in this blog, so I'm at a dead end. Any other suggestions? Note: I'm non-technical and don't feel comfortable altering file extensions as a previous user suggested.

Message was edited by: JuniorJul

It's really pretty simple.  The setup.exe that Adobe provides actually only just runs another setup.exe file, assuming everything is fine.  But its check for everything being fine is borked, so the other setup.exe file doesn't get run.  So you have to go find it and run it yourself.  Likely locations:

On XP:

C:/Documents and Settings/***YOUR USERNAME***/Local Settings/Application  Data/Adobe/Reader 9.3/Setup Files/Reader9/Setup.exe

On Windows 7:

D:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Adobe\Reader 9.3\Setup Files\Reader9\Setup.exe

Hope that helps,

Erich

• 15. Re: Adobe Reader Won't Download On Windows 7
                                      mponeill@bell.net

I too am having a problem installing Adobe Reader 9.3.3. When the pr

ogram tries to install a message pops up saying "This installation Package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that yu can access it or contact the application vender to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Any suggestions?