8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2007 6:37 PM by Newsgroup_User

    CS3 slicing behavior not like FW8

    maryhowe Level 1
      I just upgraded to CS3, and slicing is not behaving as it did in FW 8. I have a simple image, which I cut up into three slices. The slices do not overlap, although they are arranged on the page so that the slicing guides would overlap if they extended further down the page. When I select a slice and export it, I get only part of the image, as though the slices were overlapping and the slice were stacked at the bottom (it's not).

      Even more strangely, when I enlarged the canvas and arranged the images and slices such that there is no possibility of overlap, the slices seem to "remember" their partial state, so I still can't export them.

      IF, on the other hand, I export the whole image (and thus get all those extra files), the slices I want come out fine.

      I was completely accustomed to slice behavior in FW8. Is there some preference I can set to make it act the way it used to? I've wasted about 4 hours (not billable) trying to figure this out. It's not mentioned in the Help.

      Want to see? Here's a link to it.

      Any help anyone can provide will be deeply appreciated!
        • 1. Re: CS3 slicing behavior not like FW8
          pixlor Level 4
          Wow....

          I dowloaded your image and...wow. It's like it does NOT want to work! So...if it helps at all, it isn't just you.

          I tried starting with a new image, copying your elements to it and making new slices. When I copied, I got the message about the items being at a different resolution, did I want to resample? I never do with my work, so I said no. When I exported the images, They came out weird. They were smaller, overall, but shrunk more vertically than horizontally. I think that, somehow, something is corrupted in not just your file, but also the component elements.

          Um....*tests more*

          Oh dear. Not good.

          I started a fresh image, drew three rectangles on it and exported them. My 200x25 rectangle exported as 222x15 and my two 100x100 squares exported as 111x59.

          Hooboy. I haven't had this happen, before.

          Okay...I restarted Fireworks, and went to make a new image. The first thing I notice is that my default Resolution is 37.7999992370605 Pixels/cm...fixed that. Make a new image...same rectangles and squares...make new slices...export.... And I get the same results.

          Time to reboot, I think, and I'll be back with more results later.

          • 2. Re: CS3 slicing behavior not like FW8
            Level 7
            Open the document in the Export preview window. Click on the File Tab.
            Set the Scale to 100%. Make sute the dimensions are correct as well.


            --
            Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.projectseven.com
            Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
            CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            • 3. Re: CS3 slicing behavior not like FW8
              maryhowe Level 1
              Thank you, that worked.

              But I really wanted the images to be at 50%. Maybe I never did that before in FW8, but it sure seems to me that I did.

              So in order to export those images at 50%, I either have to export the entire image (with slices) at 50%, or export the individual slices at 100% and then resize the results, right?
              • 4. Re: CS3 slicing behavior not like FW8
                Level 7
                maryhowe wrote:


                > So in order to export those images at 50%, I either have to export the entire
                > image (with slices) at 50%, or export the individual slices at 100% and then
                > resize the results, right?

                Yes. But why not resample them before exporting them?

                --
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                • 5. Re: CS3 slicing behavior not like FW8
                  Level 7
                  Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks** wrote:
                  > maryhowe wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  >> So in order to export those images at 50%, I either have to export
                  >> the entire image (with slices) at 50%, or export the individual slices
                  >> at 100% and then resize the results, right?
                  >
                  > Yes. But why not resample them before exporting them?
                  >
                  Another option is to use the Export Area tool. It's a manual process
                  but should work also.

                  --
                  Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                  Extending Knowledge, Daily
                  http://www.communityMX.com/
                  CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                  http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                  ---
                  .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                  news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                  news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                  • 6. Re: CS3 slicing behavior not like FW8
                    maryhowe Level 1
                    Let's see, I'll answer both Linda and Jim together.
                    I didn't want to resample because it alters the original image. Of course, I can always undo afterwards, or not save it, but that's an extra and dangerous step for an absent-minded person like me. (Save Changes? OK, sure. Oops.)

                    Jim, holy cow! I totally forgot about the Export Area tool! It's not as precise as a slice because you have to keep track of the dimensions and coordinates if you need to re-export, but it does export at the correct percentage.

                    Dang, I sure wish I had kept a copy of FW 8 so I could see if it used to be possible to export slices of an image at a smaller percentage than the original. Oh, well. Export Area is my answer.

                    Thanks, folks!

                    Mary
                    • 7. Re: CS3 slicing behavior not like FW8
                      Level 7
                      Export Area tool retains its position while a document is Live and has W
                      H X and Y parameters in the property inspector.

                      It sure is a neat feature.

                      I wonder if it could save its last used values even through a Save or a
                      Save as?

                      maryhowe wrote:
                      > Let's see, I'll answer both Linda and Jim together.
                      > I didn't want to resample because it alters the original image. Of course, I
                      > can always undo afterwards, or not save it, but that's an extra and dangerous
                      > step for an absent-minded person like me. (Save Changes? OK, sure. Oops.)
                      >
                      > Jim, holy cow! I totally forgot about the Export Area tool! It's not as
                      > precise as a slice because you have to keep track of the dimensions and
                      > coordinates if you need to re-export, but it does export at the correct
                      > percentage.
                      >
                      > Dang, I sure wish I had kept a copy of FW 8 so I could see if it used to be
                      > possible to export slices of an image at a smaller percentage than the
                      > original. Oh, well. Export Area is my answer.
                      >
                      > Thanks, folks!
                      >
                      > Mary
                      >
                      • 8. Re: CS3 slicing behavior not like FW8
                        Level 7
                        deebs wrote:
                        > Export Area tool retains its position while a document is Live and has W
                        > H X and Y parameters in the property inspector.
                        >
                        > It sure is a neat feature.
                        >
                        > I wonder if it could save its last used values even through a Save or a
                        > Save as?
                        >
                        > maryhowe wrote:
                        >> Let's see, I'll answer both Linda and Jim together. I didn't want to
                        >> resample because it alters the original image. Of course, I can
                        >> always undo afterwards, or not save it, but that's an extra and
                        >> dangerous step for an absent-minded person like me. (Save Changes?
                        >> OK, sure. Oops.)
                        >>
                        >> Jim, holy cow! I totally forgot about the Export Area tool! It's
                        >> not as precise as a slice because you have to keep track of the
                        >> dimensions and coordinates if you need to re-export, but it does
                        >> export at the correct percentage.
                        >>
                        >> Dang, I sure wish I had kept a copy of FW 8 so I could see if it used
                        >> to be possible to export slices of an image at a smaller percentage
                        >> than the original. Oh, well. Export Area is my answer.
                        >> Thanks, folks!
                        >>
                        >> Mary
                        >>

                        If you "save" rather than "export" you run into another glitch in that
                        FW adds at least 6 - 8 k to the file because its reserving space for
                        meta data.

                        --
                        Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                        Extending Knowledge, Daily
                        http://www.communityMX.com/
                        CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                        http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                        ---
                        .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                        news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                        news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver