4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2010 12:14 AM by cosligo

Will my system be enough for CS5?

cosligo

I've been searching the forums for this answer and didn't find anything definite, so my appologies if I'm repeating an old question.

I am considering buying the Master Collection soon (I'm a student and want to get it on discount before I finish college) and I was looking at the system specifications. I notice the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 isn't mentioned anywhere when it comes to Premire CS5. I also couldn't find much info on my sound card.

I'm running dual GTS 250's (512mb), Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro sound card, 6GB RAM, 7200 rpm/500GB HD, Intel Pentium i7 2.66Ghz processor on a ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard. The only thing that doesn't sound like it has much support for Premire CS5 is my graphics cards. Will my system be able to handle Premire?

That's a hell of a lot of money for me, so if anyone has some experience with a similar system set-up or has any info that can help me out, I would very much appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Will my system be enough for CS5?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

How do you have your dual vid-cards configured? That might actually cause some issues. What other uses do you intend for this computer to be put to?

For general recs. and especially for CUDA/MPE, I'd stop by the Hardware Forum, and read all of Harm Millaard's articles. He covers every aspect of an NLE workstation in great detail. Lot of excellent advice there.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will my system be enough for CS5?
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Welcome aboard the forum.

You will be able to use a GTS 250 for the master collection, but you will not be able to take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine Hardware in Premiere.  While your cards are CUDA cards, but they do not have the required 768 MB of RAM.  Secondly I am imagine that you might have your two cards tied together in SLI mode.  That is not supported in Premiere and while I do not know about the other Master Collection applications, I doubt that any would work with SLI mode.  If you disable SLI, you might be able to support more than two monitors.  The other thing that I would do if I were installing Adobe CS5 is to dump the audio card they usually do nothing but cause problems.  The audio on your motherboard is what everyone on this forum seems to use and be very happy with.

The other thing that is absolutely essential is at least one more internal 7200 rpm disk drive.disk drive.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Will my system be enough for CS5?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One hard drive is not enough... Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0

For many codecs, you do not need RAID... for some you do... read in the hardware section

For a list of supported nVidia CUDA cards go to the FAQ
              http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current/cs5_faq_sheet

For others, read the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557?tstart=0

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to what I built for CS5

• 4. Re: Will my system be enough for CS5?
                cosligo Level 1

Thank you all for the replies. I have a lot of reading to do.

I do have the 250's running in SLI mode with the #2 card handling PhysX. If you want to know what's really weird, I am now running two displays (one a widescreen HDTV and one of course, my monitor) while in SLI mode. It didn't work in SLI at first, which is usually the case, but it seemed to work after I adjusted the settings of each card and set the secondary one to handle PhysX instead of piling the load onto the primary card. I have no idea if that is what made it work or not, as I am not a hardware expert. There are various times when I disable SLI, so I won't be heartbroken if I need to do that to run Premiere.

The main reason I use SLI is for gaming (things like Modern Warfare/MW2, ARMA2, Assassin's Creed 1&2, and various others). I have Pro Tools on here too and do quite a bit of audio editing with that. I have downloaded many a trial version of Adobe software including flash, illustrator, photoshop, and most recently, Premiere among others and all have run beautifully, but of course they are trials and I don't have them for very long. Also with the master collection there are quite a few programs that I have never loaded onto this computer in addition to everything else. I don't make full length films, but mostly short videos, about the length of most music videos (my primary reason for wanting Premiere).

I appreciate the links. If I were not a student, I might be able to afford to build another computer and buy software, but such is not the case. I had to work pretty hard to get what I've got already. I'm hoping to build onto it slowly though, as it's very upgradeable. Looks like I might have to wait for a bit.

Thanks again,

-Niki