7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 10:54 PM by Lost In My Mind

Displacement Map

Lost In My Mind Level 1

Doing a project where I would like a logo to contour to the landscape as opposed to just text on top of it. Looked under displacement maps thinking that is what I needed, and watched a few tutorials, but not really what I was trying to do. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks. Cin

• 1. Re: Displacement Map
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What about FreeForm?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Displacement Map
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A screenshot of the image you are trying to map to would help a great deal. There are lots of techniques. As soon as I see a screenshot I'll be able to give you an idea of what can be done.

You might want to look at this short article that I wrote a while back. It will give you a clear explanation of exactly how displacement works.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Displacement Map
              Lost In My Mind Level 1

Logo Photo.JPGSorry Todd and Rick that it took so long for me to say 'Thanks' for your help. New computer is a pain in the rear, plus out of town for a week :/  Todd, that is a neat feature, but I'm afraid it will be a long time before I can upgrade to CS5.  Rick, thanks for the link. I see why you are considered an 'expert'. I attached a photo that will be similar to the one I want to use. Was just hoping to make the Illustrator logo 'wrap' over the image if possible. Thank you both again for taking the time and effort to share your knowledge and expertise. Cin

• 4. Re: Displacement Map
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use CC Cylinder to get it to look like it's around the hill, then use a displacement map to introduce the texture of the hill, then use some color correction to shade it right.

• 5. Re: Displacement Map
                  Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you Szalam for your reply and help. Still working on it, but I think you have me going in the right direction. Thanks again. Cin

• 6. Re: Displacement Map
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might try something like this. I copied the blue channel of the image then created a new layer to hold the copy. I then created another layer on top of the blue channel, filled that with 50% gray, then created a mask and painted on it with a 10% transparency brush. The paint mode was set to Linear Dodge (add) and the color to 100% Red to move the pixels to the left. The brush mode was set to subtract to move the pixels to the right. I made my best guess and started painting leaving the areas where I didn't want to move pixels unpainted and adding additional strokes to move the pixels more to the left or right depending on the blend mode of the brush.

I then repeated the same technique changing the brush color to 100% Green to move the pixels up and down.

I then placed the blue channel (least contrast) copy above the painted layer, set the blend mode to screen and adjusted the opacity while checking the RGB values in the info palette until it looked about right. The final image looked like this:

http://www.hottek.net/samples/Logo+PhotoDisp.jpg

Now I've got a displacement map to use in AE. I blurred it slightly, pre-composed the layer, then threw a type layer on top of the original. A little tweaking of the RGB values and Blend mode set to Overlay completed the effect. Total time, less than 5 minutes. It ain't perfect but it should give you an idea of what to do. With a little practice you'll be able to create amazing displacement maps using this technique. Good Luck.

http://www.hottek.net/samples/example.png

• 7. Re: Displacement Map
                      Lost In My Mind Level 1

Holy Crap (excuse the French) Rick, thank you doesn't seem to be enough!! That is exactly what I was trying to do, and to take the time to put together such a detailed tutorial that even I can follow is wonderful. We are all lucky to have such talented and sharing people here. Thank you again sooooo much. Cin