7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 10:31 AM by flexchief

Flex two-phase preloader - problem preloading AIR

www.marcelvanduijn.com

Hi all,

I ran into a problem preloading a Flex AIR project. I guess a lot of you are familiar with the 2-phase preloading prinicple of Flex. You defer dispatching FlexEvent.INIT_COMPLETE and Event.COMPLETE to a moment thats suits you. I can get this to work fine with regular Flex projects, but when using this preloading technique with a Flex AIR project I get the following error:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference. at mx.core::WindowedApplication/enterFrameHandler()[C:\autobuild\3.5.0\frameworks\projects\a irframework\src\mx\core\WindowedApplication.as:2526]

This happens because WindowedApplication.creationCompleteHandler adds an enterFrameHandler:

private function creationCompleteHandler(event:Event):void
          {
              addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, enterFrameHandler);
              _nativeWindow = systemManager.stage.nativeWindow;
          }

and WindowedApplication.ennterFrameHandler tries to access the stage:

private function enterFrameHandler(e:Event):void
          {
              removeEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, enterFrameHandler);

// If nativeApplication.nativeApplication.exit() has been called,
              // the window will already be closed.
              if (stage.nativeWindow.closed)
                  return;

The red line of code throws the error mentioned above (its line 2526 of WindowedApplication) Because the preloader defers dispatching FlexEvent.INIT_COMPLETE and Event.COMPLETE the main application is not yet on the stage!

The only way I can get the 2-phase Flex preloading working for preloading a Flex AIR application is not to defer the dispatching of the events. But I need to defer them to apply some animation to the preloader (fade-out).

Are there any known solutions for this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marcel

• 1. Re: Flex two-phase preloader - problem preloading AIR
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

That bug will be fixed in 3.6.  I think you can add your own high priority

handler and stopImmediatePropagation on the event.

• 2. Re: Flex two-phase preloader - problem preloading AIR
            www.marcelvanduijn.com Level 1

Hi,

thanks for getting back. So it's a bug?

I've been looking into your suggestion and that doesnt seem to do the trick either, or maybe I didnt understand you correct . When I catch FlexEvent.CREATION_COMPLETE and prevent it from reaching WindowedApplication the initiation cycle stops and the application never gets initiated. Then the preloader never receives the FlexEvent.INIT_COMPLETE event, and cannot fade-out and dispatch the final Event.COMPLETE.

Was this process what you meant? I cant imagine proper preloading of Flex AIR isnt possible.

Can you explain a bit more, and/or maybe know of bugfixes?

• 3. Re: Flex two-phase preloader - problem preloading AIR

Here's the bug: https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-25373

I wouldn't catch CREATION_COMPLETE, I would catch the ENTER_FRAME going to

the app, test if stage == null and call stopImmediatePropagation if it is.

• 4. Re: Flex two-phase preloader - problem preloading AIR

Hi,

ok thanks a lot for your help. I got it to work. Flagged the answer as correct to score you some points

For anyone reading this thread, here's what you need todo for implementation of the workaround:

1. In your IPreloaderDisplay instance (custom or extender of DownloadProgressBar) add property

private var pendingWindowedApplicationEnterFrameEvent:Event;

2. in your FlexEvent.INIT_PROGRESS handler add

if (Application.application != null) {
                                Application.application.addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, onWindowedApplicationEnterFrame, false, int.MAX_VALUE);
                                Application.application.addEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, onWindowedApplicationAddedToStage, false, int.MAX_VALUE);
                                trace("SCREEN: ", Application.application.screen);
                            }

3.  write your WindowedApplication enter-frame handler

/*
                        @handler onWindowedApplicationEnterFrame
                        */
                        private function onWindowedApplicationEnterFrame(e:Event):void {

// defer event
                            pendingWindowedApplicationEnterFrameEvent = e.clone();
                            e.stopImmediatePropagation();

}

4. Write your WindowedApplication added-to-stage handler

/*
                        @handler onWindowedApplicationAddedToStage
                        */
                        private function onWindowedApplicationAddedToStage(e:Event):void {

// remove listeners
                            Application.application.addEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, onWindowedApplicationAddedToStage, false);
                            Application.application.removeEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, onWindowedApplicationEnterFrame, false);

// dispatch pending enter frame event
                            dispatchEvent(pendingWindowedApplicationEnterFrameEvent);

}

Now defering dispatching Event.COMPLETE in preloading a Flex AIR project works fine.

• 5. Re: Flex two-phase preloader - problem preloading AIR

Thanks for the points.  I think you could have skipped the added to stage

handler and simply tested if stage != null in the enterFrame handler and

removed the enterframe listener if true.

• 6. Re: Flex two-phase preloader - problem preloading AIR

Hi,

yeah, you're right. Added-to-stage isnt really necessary. Maybe I'll leave it out. Though esthetically I like the added-to-stage handler as well

Anyway, the problem is solved. Once again thanks.

• 7. Re: Flex two-phase preloader - problem preloading AIR
                      flexchief

Brilliant thanks a lot man works like a charm!