11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 11:12 AM by bjkupfer

external playback not working

bjkupfer

I just installed BMD decklink studio on my Mac Pro.  Running Premiere Pro CS5.  I am having difficulty getting HDMI playback to an external plasma display.  I've gone into preferences, made sure playback setting were set to black magic but in my sequence settings I only get an option for 'none', 'dv' or 'monitor 2' (I have a second LCD monitor on the system and it plays back the timeline fine there, but can't get it on the big screen.  I've made sure that I'm running all current software. What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: external playback not working
          dradeke Adobe Employee

Are you using a BMD timeline preset?  That's what will enable the output.  If you're using an Adobe native sequence, one workaround is to nest the Adobe sequence in an equivalent BMD sequence.

I hope this helps,

Dennis

• 2. Re: external playback not working
            bjkupfer Level 1

I wasn't using a black magic timeline, however when I open another sequence as a black magic sequence I still am not able to get playback out.  I don't really have any options when I go under sequence settings other than to turn off the dropped frames indicator.

I'm wondering if I need to re install Premiere?  It seems to be pretty buggy as well... Is there a way to trash preferences as in FCP?

Thanks for the tip.

• 3. Re: external playback not working
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think this does that... Reset Preferences = Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program

Also, the general concensus seems to be that CS5 is the LEAST buggy version of PPro ever

But, depending on hardware and the files being edited, some people do have problems

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 4. Re: external playback not working
                bjkupfer Level 1

OK, reset preferences and still have the issue of no playback thru the Black Magic Deck link Studio card

PPro version 5.0.1

Project settings:  Capture format Blackmagic Capture

Sequence settings:  Black Magic Sony XDCAM EX 1080p 23.97

Mac OS 10.6.4 (current)

Processor 2 x 3 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon

Memory 8 GB

ATI Radeon X1900 XT graphic card

(2) Dell 24"  2405 LCD Monitors

Black Magic Design Decklink Studio  with most current software from the web 7.7.3  installed Slot 4 per BMD

Maxx Digital 8TB RAID PCIe  slot 3

No 3rd party plug ins in PPro

No error messages just that playback doesn't work thru the HDMI port of the decklink.  (It does work on FCP)

• 5. Re: external playback not working
                  dradeke Adobe Employee

In a BMD sequence, make sure that the BMD player is selected in the sequence settings.  Check your external devices and also tell us what output you're using out of the BMD (SDI, HDMI, etc?).  I don't have a BMD rig in front of me now, but I wonder if you have to select an output through a BMD utility?

Dennis

• 6. Re: external playback not working
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

Also, give BMD a call on Monday. ;-)  I've found them to be pretty helpful.

Dennis

• 7. Re: external playback not working
                      bkupfer

The Black Magic Deck Link Studio is 'live' on all outputs, all the time.  SDI, Component, Composite, S and HDMI.  I'm using the HDMI out which works on FCP.

• 8. Re: external playback not working
                        bkupfer Level 1

I have an email in to their support and will call them tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help...

• 9. Re: external playback not working
                          bjkupfer Level 1

Here's an update to my problem.  I finally spoke with Black Magic Design and the tech support guy tells me that the PPCS5 drivers are Beta and he really can't help me any more than that.

His comment that "Since it's working in Final Cut the hardware is performing correctly" didn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

My problem persists.

• 10. Re: external playback not working
                            dradeke Adobe Employee

bjkupfer wrote:

Here's an update to my problem.  I finally spoke with Black Magic Design and the tech support guy tells me that the PPCS5 drivers are Beta and he really can't help me any more than that.

His comment that "Since it's working in Final Cut the hardware is performing correctly" didn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

My problem persists.

Well that sounds decidedly unhelpful.  I will ping my contacts at Blackmagic Design to get some clarification and see if we can get you some help.  Could you send me your case # (or whatever BMD uses) - either via this thread or via a private message.

Blackmagic makes a good product and I'm sure they'll get their final kinks worked out very soon.

Thanks,

Dennis

• 11. Re: external playback not working
                              bjkupfer Level 1

Thanks Dennis,

Since my 'unhelpful' phone call I did receive an email back which helped me even more.  Here's what they said:

Hello Ben,

Thank you for contacting us. There are a couple of things that we would
                              check.

First, check to make sure that the black magic preset matches your content.
                              So if you are working with NTSC then make sure that you have a Black Magic
                              NTSC preset.

Second, if you are outputting via HDMI try with component. Some monitors are
                              not able to display NTSC video via HDMI. Try testing with component or
                              composite output.

Third, try doing a control test such as playing back Bars ad Tone at 720P60.
                              This will let you know if there is an issue with your content or the card.
                              If it plays out just fine then this lets us know that the card is working
                              fine. If it does not play out then there is a chance that the card may not
                              be working correctly. If this is the case we would recommend that you test
                              the card on a separate system to confirm the issue.

Let us know how your testing goes.

Marcelino Medina
                              Support Engineer
                              Blackmagic Design Inc. USA

So, I did as they suggested.  I did play back bars and they DID play out over HDMI.  That put me back to the Premiere Pro manual and as I read it I began thinking about how the sequence was setup.  When you open up a new sequence you get the sequence preset page.   I set it to the proper preset in the black magic design folder; XDCAM EX/Progressive/23.97.  I never checked the 'General' tab.  When you go to that tab,  I noticed that the timebase automatically sets to 23.976... well, that is right for the footage but it won't playout to my plasma monitor with a 23.976 fps timebase.  When I set it to 29.97 and made a new sequence, I brought in my 23.97 footage, get a red render bar over the footage BUT IT PLAYS OUT!  Mystery solved, I just wasn't digging deep enough into the settings of PPro.

So, I'll chalk this one up to a learning experience/operator error... I now play the footage out to the monitor and all is well.

Thanks for all the help.  Hope it helps someone else out there.

Ben