12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 6:08 PM by zendrive

PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units

zendrive

I have just created a project in PrE 8 with multiple titles syncopated to a couple of self-produced audio (.wav and .mp3) track along with DV video footage from a Sony Handycam DCR-HC20.

The footage with the audio files lasts about 4 and a half minutes total.

There are no Menu screens and I have selected the DVD to play at once.

Using the advice from previous discussions, I have attempted to burn the project from a folder to disk using CDBurnerXP and IMGBURN.

None of my disks will playback in standalone DVD players (if my PS3 and WII would count as such, those are the only ones I have at my disposal.)

I am using Memorex DVD-R media.  The disks will play back on other computers.

I am at a loss as what to do to make these disks play in a standalone DVD player.

• 1. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
          zendrive Level 1

Also, my system has 4Gb RAM, running WIndows 7 64 bit.  Intel Quad core processor @ 3.0Ghz. GeForce 6850 GT graphics card.  If that helps.

• 2. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be the poor quality discs you're using. Memorex are about the worst brand on the market. Verbatim are much better and much more reliable.

But it's more likely something not going right with your burner. Are you sure you're burning a playable disc and not a data disc? Some burner software distinguishes between the two.

Also, can you play the DVD on your computer? (Don't use Windows Media Player. Use the burner software that launches when you play a commercial DVD.)

If not, if you explore the disc do you see the VIDEO_TS folder?

• 3. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since you have Imgburn, read what it says about the identity of the blank discs... I have read before (in these forums) that a spindle of 50 Memorex blanks may have as many as 5 or 6 different ACTUAL brands

Also, when burning with Imgburn, use the slowest speed possible

• 4. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
                zendrive Level 1

I will look into different disks.

I am burning a playable DVD when using PrE.

I wonder why PrE will not burn a disk that is ready to play without having to resort to external programs?

When I use ImgBurn, I am copying the folders (AUDIO_TS, OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS) to the disks (Write files/folders to disk function) at 4X speed.

I don't have any programs that will play back DVD's other than Windows Media Player 12 on both my machines.  Is there freeware I should consider using?

As mentioned, when I explore the disk, the VIDEO_TS folder is there.

• 5. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It does sound as though your DVDs have the necessary files on them.

If you load one into your computer and let Windows Media Player auto-launch, does the DVD play?

In any event, everything is where it should be, so your problem isn't software related. It's clearly something going wrong between the DVD and your DVD players (which sometimes happens with home-burned discs).

• 6. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I wonder why PrE will not burn a disk that is ready to play without having to resort to external programs?

These may answer...

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD
                    Read all links/sub-links to create a "best" burned disc
                    Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660?tstart=0

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus a Microsoft note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
                    And another note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

• 7. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I wonder why PrE will not burn a disk that is ready to play without having to resort to external programs?

What happens if you do the Burn to Disc from PrE with high-quality blank media?

Does PrE see your burner? If not, this ARTICLE might be useful in troubleshooting that aspect of the problem. There can be several reasons for this, though most relate to other software on your system "hooking" the burner(s) at boot up, and reporting to the OS that it is not a burner, but a logical HDD.

As has been mentioned above, the quality of the blank media is highly important. Most feel that Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden, are the only trusted brands, and all others are a gamble - might work, but might not. Though I believe that this ARTICLE is linked in the thread that John T. linked to, I am adding it here, just in case.

I don't have any programs that will play back DVD's other than Windows Media Player 12 on both my machines.  Is there freeware I should consider using?

I like MediaPlayer Classic HC, though I do use CyberLink's PowerDVD mostly (it's my default on my two main machines).

As John T. mentions above, ImgBurn will also tell you who made those Memorex discs. Also, it is common to have some in a spindle, that work well, only to have others fail horribly. This is because of Memorex's policy (and most others too now) of buying the cheapest possible media at that moment, and then rebranding them with the Memorex logo. ImgBurn (and some other utilities) will tell you what you really have there.

The only reason to use a utility, like ImgBurn, if PrE does find your burner, is to set the burn speed slower, and that 4x speed should be just fine. PrE will attempt to use the fastest speed, predicated on the speed of the media and on the speed of the burner. This does keep things simple, but burn speed is the second highest cause of playability issues, behind the brand of blank media. That is the only reason (other than testing the VIDEO_TS folder's files, before burning a physical disc), that I use ImgBurn in lieu of PrE's burning module. In my normal authoring program, Adobe Encore (only available now bundled with PrPro), I can set my burning speed. I wish that PrE would add that feature, but so far, Adobe has not added it to PrE. Maybe with PrE 9?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
                        zendrive Level 1

The DVD plays back automatically using Windows Media.

PrE recognizes my DVD drive and I recently updated the firmware and drivers as well. I had no problems before.

I took the disks to a neighbors standalone DVD player and it played back automatically (all three encodings, PrE, ImgBurn, CDburnerXP)

I guess the Wii and the PS3 don't like these particular disks no matter what.

I will try with higher quality media and see if that works and follow up.

Right now, I would be interested in knowing how to make these DVD's play back on the Wii or PS3 if anyone can help.

Thanks for the tips on burning media and using (free!) external programs.  They seem like great tools and I am glad I have them.

And to everyone who replied, in this discussion and in others, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

• 9. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I would be interested in knowing how to make these DVD's play back on the Wii or PS3 if anyone can help.

I do not use either of those, so cannot comment, other than there was a time when the Sony PS would play burned media, if properly done. At some point, Sony issued a firmware update (automatically applied, IIRC), and it killed the units' ability to handle any non-commercial discs. At that time, Sony responded that any non-commercial disc was deemed to be pirated material. MS did similar with WMP for several versions. Not sure if this policy is still in effect for Sony, but a bit of Internet research might be useful in tracking down the specs. for burned discs for the PS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
                            nealeh Level 5

zendrive wrote:

There are dozens of freeware media players around. Two that you should look at are:

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
                              nealeh Level 5

zendrive wrote:

Right now, I would be interested in knowing how to make these DVD's play back on the Wii or PS3 if anyone can help.

The Aimersoft Video Converter (a Giveaway Of The Day item on Saturday) has a section for converting to gaming console formats.

wii.png

The Giveaway has now expired, but you could try the trial version and see if that does what you need.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: PrE 8 DVD will not playback on standalone units
                                zendrive Level 1

Using Imation DVD-R 16x disks, I was able to encode and playback the project on my PS3 direct from PrE 8.