Upgrading from an older version of Reader (8.1 I think) to 9.3.3 on WinXP SP3. Downloaded the full installer (AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe) successfully. Double-click it. A window pops up saying "Processing Adobe Reader 9.3.3 Update". The progress bar gets to 100%, the window disappears, then ... nothing. No dialogs, no error messages. Absolutely nothing happens after that. I have:
None of these has had any effect. Suggestions?
Found a workaround. Ran the installer with the -nos_ne switch (i.e."AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe -nos_ne"), then ran
%USER_PROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Reader 9.3\Setup Files\Reader9\setup.exe . Everything seemed to install just fine.
I did happen to notice that when I tried running the setup.exe in the "Setup Files" directory (one level above), nothing happened. I suspect this is the program the installer runs after extracting all the files. Of course the real question is WHY nothing happens, but I guess that's another question for another day.
Also probably worth mentioning -- I'm not sure if the -nos_ne switch is actially required. I believe the point of this switch is to get the installer extractor NOT to delete the setup files after the installation is complete, but I suspect if the installation doesn't happen they probably aren't getting deleted anyway.