8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 2:33 PM by joewilde

Thoughts on my system build.

joewilde

I will be editing 7D footage and am looking at the following config:

Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz Socket 1366

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 Mini HDMI Dual-DVI 1280MB

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 6x2GB

I'm  not sure if this is an ideal setup but the word in the forums seems to  all point to the i7 930 and X58 motherboard as being a good value combo.  I know that the hard drive setup is going to be very important but am  unsure of the best setup to edit this format. I will be converting using  Cineform Neo Scene before I edit so this may also need consideration.

The main questions for me are:

- Is the setup I'm about to use able to handle the 7D footage?

- Am I able to use the 4 disk setup in Harm's guide - http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-2906955-31395/Guideline+Disks.jpg to edit this footage?

- IYHO what are good disks to use brand wise (will figure size later)? I dont have a huge budget so only 3.5in - 7200rpm disks will feature.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Thoughts on my system build.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. WD Caviar Black or Samsung Spinpoint F3. WD RE4 only if you go the raid route.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Thoughts on my system build.
            Dailey Pike Level 1

See my post here for pertinent info.

I edit .MOV files from a 5D Mark II no problem.

If you have the budget I might suggest the 980X CPU and more memory. The .MOV files eat it up.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/687218?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Thoughts on my system build.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

You need the 980X if you edit MOV files. You have chosen a 32 bit codec that is most troublesome and inefficient on a 64 bit platform. If you stay away from MOV, you make your life a lot easier, both for yourself and your PC.

• 4. Re: Thoughts on my system build.
                joewilde Level 1

That looks like a great set up you have Yeliad but at this stage it's a bit too expensive for me.  All my footage will be batch converted using the Neo Scene - Cineform codec as this is a much easier codec for the computer to handle and can be edited on my Q6600 machine so it should be no problems with the i7 930. The codec also converts HDV, AVCHD which offers more options for adding footage from different sources and it can be rendered fairly quickly on a modest second computer (the new position for my Q6600).

So am considering the following drives:

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 16MB 150GB -  O/S and Programs

1x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 32MB 1TB - Media/Projects

1x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 32MB 1TB - Page file/Media cache

1x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 32MB 1TB - Previews/Exports

This setup is a possible setup using the recommendations by Harm, so I am hoping it is what he has advised, I have also added a VelociRaptor as a system drive.

Am considering eSATA as an external option for any extra media needed, is the transfer speed acceptable for Cineform video or only suited to images/music etc? Most of my projects are short duration and the eSATA external would be purchased and used only if needed.

I also kept all the disks (apart from Raptor) the same so that if these drives suit, they could be used in a RAID 5 in the future. Is it possible for these drives to be used for RAID 5 or is there a better option for a set of drives that will work well as seperate drives now, but can be converted to RAID 5  at a later stage if needed.

So many questions but I think I am on the home stretch thanks to so much good advice.

http://forums.adobe.com/people/Yeliad

• 5. Re: Thoughts on my system build.
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

There is no difference in performance between SATA and eSATA, the only difference is that one is internal and the other is external and hence the e.

Your setup looks good. If and when you need a raid, let's see then. For now, you are OK.

• 6. Re: Thoughts on my system build.
                    magneter Level 1

Why use the Caviar drives vs the F3 with RAID?

• 7. Re: Thoughts on my system build.
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric, he is using them as separate drives, not raided. When the time comes to raid disks, he can then decide on the best approach, but my guess is that is at least one year ahead. So that is why I suggested to wait and see. He now has a perfectly nice system within budget. Let's not scare the OP away with expensive controllers, etc. And even if he decides to go for a raid setup, these disks are very nice for backups, swappable disks, stock footage etc.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Thoughts on my system build.
                        joewilde Level 1

Indeed, from reading material on this forum, I think that the weak link in this system will be the drives but from the advice I have been given, they should be fine for what I need at the moment. I only need to edit Cineform 1080p  footage at this stage and can look at a RAID system later. I consider myself very lucky to have landed in a forum full of helpfull experts, I have been given so much misinformation from "tech experts" and have saved hundreds of dollars by visiting this forum.

Harm, thats a good idea about using these disks as back up at a later stage, if I have to buy hard drives to back up my system anyway, then why not replace the internal drives with a RAID array as it really wont be that much more expensive (apart from the controller).

Thanks Guys for your thoughts, ideas and suggestions, I feel I am on the right path now.