7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 12:06 PM by keramok

Good enough for HDSLR editing? (Premiere, AE)

keramok

Hello,

I am a Canon 5D II DSLR user (records in FullHD). At this time I am using the laptop with Core 2 duo, 3GB RAM and ATI4650. Editing of fullHD files in something unreal (ok, I can make for example 640x360, edit and than exchange the source files...it works, but still AE crashes all the time).

Therefore I decided to build a new PC. My first opinion is:

CPU: INTEL Core i7-875K (overclocking) 2,93 GHz (Turbo frequency up to 3,6 GHz)
      Board: ASUS MB Sc LGA1156 P7P55D-E PRO
      GPU: ASUS VGA nVIDIA ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5
      RAM: DIMM DDR3 12GB 1333MHz ECC
      Hard drives: 2x WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX 1TB SATA/600 64MB cache

Is this configuration good enough? Shall I rather buy 1 SSD for the system and 1TB WD sata as a data storage? Please help, I don't know the user experience. Thank you!!!

• 1. Re: Good enough for HDSLR editing? (Premiere, AE)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No.

1. Wrong CPU. Use an i7-930 or i7-980X.

2. Wrong motherboard. Use a X58, not a P55.

3. OK in amount, but ECC is meant for server boards, limits the speed and availability, but not the price.

4. A P55 can not contain 12 GB. Only a X58 can contain 12 GB, the P55 is limited to either 8 or very expensive 16 G memory.

5. Add a Velociraptor or SSD for OS & programs, but keep those two WD's.

When you click on the Overview tab at the top of the Hardware page, there appears a drop down box with some articles that can be interesting to read.

• 2. Re: Good enough for HDSLR editing? (Premiere, AE)
            keramok Level 1

Yes I had read the other threads before.

I am just wondering why to buy i7-930 rather than i7-875K (there you can get higher frequency?!)

So now:

CPU: INTEL Core i7-930 2,80 GHz (4,8 GT/sec) 8MB L2 LGA1366

Motherboard: ASUS MB Sc LGA1366 P6X58D PREMIUM, Intel X58, 6xDDR3

Video Card: ASUS VGA nVIDIA ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5

RAM: DIMM DDR3 12GB 1333MHz CL9 (Kit of 3) KINGSTON ValueRAM

Hard drives:

1x WD SiliconEdge Blue SSC-D0128SC-2100 128GB SATA/300, NCQ, 2,5" SSD (MLC)

2x WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX 1TB SATA/600 64MB cache

Power source: 650 W?

Would be this OK now? The DDR3 1600MHz are too expensive :( Is it a problem with these 1333MHz in my configuration? Maybe I can buy cheaper 6x 2GB 1600MHz for less money....? This should fit to the motherboard. (2x DIMM DDR3 6GB, 1600MHz, A-DATA, CL7-7-7-20 (KIT 3x2GB) X series)

Isn't 128GB SSD for OS too much? It's twice as expensive as 64GB, it may be enough, may not?

I appreciate your help.

• 3. Re: Good enough for HDSLR editing? (Premiere, AE)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Clock frequency is not everything. Just look at the http://ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html results and notice my own system at rank # 2 with only 3.7 GHz.

Everything is about a balanced system, where all the components fit nicely together and create synergy.

That means that things like clock speed and memory speed, cache size, chip and memory latency, disk setup, video card, PCIe bus speed all have to be properly balanced to get optimal results. It makes no sense to install a 800 HP Formula 1 engine in a 30 year old Beetle, without adjusting the frame, suspension and brake system at the same time.

The i7-930 is the most economical CPU currently with great overclocking capability. Only the 9xx series on a X58 mobo allows 12 G of economical memory to be installed and the difference versus 8 G on a P55 mobo is very significant in performance. The P55 is further hampered by the very limited number of PCIe lanes, so expansion capabilities are very limited.

Your PSU is too low I think, check here eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 and get the Pro version, set your CPU load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30% and add 10 - 15% to the results to be safe. My guess is you need 850W.

• 4. Re: Good enough for HDSLR editing? (Premiere, AE)
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to what I built

I think my computer is just about the minimum for HD editing

• 5. Re: Good enough for HDSLR editing? (Premiere, AE)
                  keramok Level 1

Thanks John, it looks almost the same as my wish what to buy.

This is about the minimum for HD editing of fullHD (1920x1080) editing?

• 6. Perfect for HDSLR editing!
                    Dailey Pike Level 1

See my recent post for info.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/687218?tstart=0

I edit .MOV files from a 5D Mark II and the system I have handles it easily.

Best of luck.

• 7. Re: Perfect for HDSLR editing!
                      keramok Level 1

Thanks mate, sounds great!

Hopefully my configuration will do as well. "Just" the price is the thing to think about Why the hell is everything so expensive? ... (Right, it isn't so expensive in comparasion to 5D II and some L lenses indeed)