5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 2:17 PM by nealeh

How do I add video from finished DVD? I have a couple of editing questions as well.

1_dizzy

OK, I'm sure this has been asked already, but can't find it anywhere.   Let's say I finished a project and burned it to DVD for viewing on DVD player.  Then I cleared all the orginal mts. files off hard drive thinking I was done with that project and thought I would never go back to it.  Now I want to go back and get some of that video off that DVD and add to another project and keep the good quility.   How do I go about doing this?

2nd question.  lets say I'm making a highlight video for my sons basketball team.   I have about 45 minutes done already which has taken alot of time.  The parents would like to see a sample before purchasing.   So I would like to take a 5 minutes section from this project and put on youtube.  How can I do this without opening another project, going through all the video and remaking a 5 minute highlight? 

3rd question.  how can I freeze video in a project without hitting the camera tab?   The camera tab works great, but when I want to freeze a frame with the camera button it shrinks the picture on TV so it's not full frame which looks odd as you watch the video.   example,  I would like to freeze a dunk and make it look smooth on video

• 1. Re: How do I add video from finished DVD? I have a couple of editing questions as well.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Wow! Way too many questions for one post, dizzy! A thread can get complicated enough with just one question! I'd recommend

you spread these out a little bit!

Editing a finished DVD can be challenging. You can do it with Premiere Elements -- but it usually is very challenging and involves compromises.

You're much better off using a program like Sonic MyDVD, which works natively with DVD files.

http://www.sonic.com/

That will edit the video files anyway. But you will need to re-author the DVD and put all new menus on it. You can't just open the files, drop in your new footage and output the same DVD.

• 2. Re: How do I add video from finished DVD? I have a couple of editing questions as well.
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            3rd question.  how can I freeze video in a project without hitting the camera tab?   The camera tab works great, but when I want to freeze a frame with the camera button it shrinks the picture on TV so it's not full frame which looks odd as you watch the video.   example,  I would like to freeze a dunk and make it look smooth on video

A very likely cause for this shrinking is that your source footage does not match your Project Preset, and there is Scaling going on to get it to match. At this juncture, it is probably best to just apply that same Scaling to the "Freeze Frame" to make it fit. This can be done with the fixed Effect>Motion>Scale in Edit Effects, with that Clip/Freeze Frame selected The ultimate solution was at the beginning, and that was to match the Preset and the source footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I add video from finished DVD? I have a couple of editing questions as well.
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              2nd question.  lets say I'm making a highlight video for my sons basketball team.   I have about 45 minutes done already which has taken alot of time.  The parents would like to see a sample before purchasing.   So I would like to take a 5 minutes section from this project and put on youtube.  How can I do this without opening another project, going through all the video and remaking a 5 minute highlight?

I believe that the easiest way to accomplish this "highlight" reel would be to Open your Project, and do a Save_As, renaming the new Project to something like [Project name]_Highlights. Now, you will be editing that Save_As Project, and just Delete what you do not want included. You will then do a Save (remember, you have first done the Save_As and Rename, so you will be just Saving the "highlight" portion). Export this newly edited Project for YouTube. Your original Project will remain untouched.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I add video from finished DVD? I have a couple of editing questions as well.
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                1.) Now I want to go back and get some of that video off that DVD and add to another project and keep the good quility.   How do I go about doing this?

Steve's suggestion is probably the best. However, if you authored and burned the DVD from PrE, or another 100% DVD-compliant program, you can probably Copy the VOB's to the computer, and then Import them into a New Project. Remember, the AV material contained in the VOB's is already compressed to MPEG-2, the format/CODEC for DVD-Video, so when you Export/Share to DVD-Video again, you WILL recompress that footage a second time. Quality will be down, but probably acceptable.

In the future, look into using the Archiver to archive the entire Project w/ source footage, for later re-editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do I add video from finished DVD? I have a couple of editing questions as well.
                  nealeh Level 5

1_dizzy wrote:

You can make a five minute trailer with the 'instant movie' feature.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children