3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 9:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Capturing Video

VACharlie

I have a Canon Vixia HV40 camcorder and I can't download video, either HD or regular DV.  I have my connections right, but nothing works.  Is it the camera format that doesn't work with PE8 Premiere?  What options do I have?

• 1. Re: Capturing Video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What happens when you plug in your camera via FireWire? Does Windows see it, and signal that it is ready?

What OS are you on? Win7 has experienced issues with the FireWire drivers, and one has to manually select the FW driver (in the OS) with the word "legacy" in the name.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Capturing Video
            VACharlie Level 1

My computer and the camera recognize each other with the Firewire connection.  My OC is Windows 7 64 bit.  From reading on the form, it appears that there are some issues with PE8 working properly with the 64 bit version.  Has that been addressed in the latest software updates?

How do I select a "legacy" driver in Windows 7?

• 3. Re: Capturing Video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE 8 is still a 32-bit program. Do not know if PrE 9 (due later this year) will offer 64-bit native code.

The biggest issues with Win7 64-bit has been the various drivers for it. Hope is that SP1 will offer an improvement.

I do not know where one sets/selects the drivers in Win7-64, but in previous versions, it would be Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager. You may have to look in Windows Help to find out where it might now reside.

Good luck,

Hunt