8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 4:20 PM by Steve Grisetti

Any Viewmaster-like effects available?

timfield57

I would love to create a video that uses old Viewmaster-style for changing between videos - where the current video rotates 90 degrees to the left (or right) off screen while the next video topic rotates on. Especially cool would be to add "aging" effects to start of each video snippet so looks like an old still image as it rotates into view, then comes to life. For those of us who grew up looking at vacation spots on our plastic Viewmasters, this would be fun way to put together vacation video montage.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Any Viewmaster-like effects available?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Both are very easy to do, using Keyframing!

• 2. Re: Any Viewmaster-like effects available?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve says, Keyframing will be the, well "key." For Rotation, you can Keyframe the fixed Effect>Rotation with Edit Effect, when the Clip is selected.

For aging, there are some Effects, that will contribute to that "look," and plenty of plug-in Effects, like ProDAD's Vitascene, that will add more to the look. Do not know if Red Giant's Magic Bullet Looks will work in PrE, but it contains a lot of "aging" Effects, but it is rather expensive.

Actually, Windows Movie Maker has a pretty good "old film" Effect included. Do not know if this is in the newer Live version, but is in the older version of WMM.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Any Viewmaster-like effects available?

Unfortunately, as both Hunt I seem to indicate, the process is simple, if you understand Keyframing -- but also very difficult to describe.

It involves opening the Motion properties, changing the anchor point and keyframing a rotation. If those words make sense to you, I can pretty easily describe what to do.

If not -- well, you've inspired my next "Steve's Tips" article for Muvipix.com! If you can wait a few weeks, you can grab it from there.

Otherwise, I've got books for sale on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store that will explain the basic, including the basics of Keyframing. And, to get you started, I've even created an 8-part Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorial series that's available for free on the videomaker support site http://Muvipix.com.

• 4. Re: Any Viewmaster-like effects available?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

So true. Keyframing is easy, as soon as one grasps the concept. However, grasping that concept can be very difficult indeed. I find that your articles on Muvipix, plus your books, do a very good job, though it requires several pages. Easier to just do, than to write about!

However, once one understands Keyframing, the power unleashed will be a siren song for all animation - so much power and so many Effects!!!! Well worth one doing a bunch of reading and experimenting.

Hunt

PS - I have some basic Keyframing tutorials bookmarked, but they are for Premiere (precursor to PrPro) and PrPro, and not for PrElements. Many have found them more confusing, than helpful, as much interpolation is required. Do you, or Chuck have any Keyframe tutorials? If so, links to those might be very helpful, especially if they are done on later versions of PrE.

• 5. Re: Any Viewmaster-like effects available?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

On a real tangent, and probably OT for this thread, I was just thinking about the 3D effects in View Master, only last week. Some of those images were excellent and beat the 3D movies of the day, hands down, especially as they just added the Y-component to the image and not just some silly effect of things flying out into the audience. Even as a child, I marveled at the "depth" of some of those images. Wish that I still had my old View Master and the discs. My wife still has hers somewhere, but I do not recall which discs she has. Some were better, than others.

Cannot recall what got me to thinking about View Master, but it was probably a 3D TV ad.

Sorry to go so far afield.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Any Viewmaster-like effects available?
                    timfield57 Level 1

Thanks to both of you for the help! Your comments do resonate and should get me moving... Steve, I appreciate the links to your site - I will check them out. And will definitely look forward to your upcoming "Tips" article to show me the right way (and probably much easier way) after I've mucked around between now and then.

I do understand the basics of keyframing and anchor points - I have done rotation in the past but what I haven't worked through is the idea of having two separate videos (or images) rotating - where one is rotating in as the other rotates out. And then set up a way to reproduce that for multiple shots... I've just gotta think it through a bit and do some experimenting.

Thanks again...

• 7. Re: Any Viewmaster-like effects available?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I do understand the basics of keyframing and anchor points

You are well ahead of the game then. All it will now take is just adding those Keyframes. Once one has the concept down, it's just about the pure mechanics of applying them and their attributes to those Keyframes.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Any Viewmaster-like effects available?

>what I haven't worked through is the idea of having two separate videos  (or images) rotating - where one is rotating in as the other rotates  out.

That's the easy part! You just put the outgoing clip on the Video 2 track and the incoming clip on the Video 1 track, slightly overlapped by the clip on Video 2.

The overlapping segment is where keyframed motion is happening -- one clip rolling out of the other clip rolls in!