30 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 12:09 AM by graphicstop

Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5

Jomo1234567

Hello,

I really need help and nobody seems to be able to provide it, least of all Adobe Technical Support. I have wasted hours of time on the phone with them and they have done absolutely nothing but waste those hours of my time.

Here's the issue. I have upgraded to Premiere CS5 for production of our weekly tv show. Everything works fine until it's time to export to tape. I get an audio and video signal, but it constantly drops out. Even when a still image is on the timline, it will appear for about 10 seconds, then drop out and flicker for a few seconds, then return. While trying to export, the same thing occurs, video and audio drops out for a few seconds and then returns.

I've seen a note to disable the MPE output, but on my setup screen, that option is greyed out.

Does anybody have a suggestion before I throw this in the river and go back to CS3?

Joe Moore

Raceline Productions, Inc.

• 1. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
          Jim Hines Level 1

Just want to report to you - before you give up - I'm running windows 7 - going out to a Sony GV- D1000 SD deck - and a - Canon Vixia HV40 HDV camera - via Firewire and it works - it's a bit klugee - and I've experienced a couple system freezes resulting from "sequence settings/playback settings/external device audio - and when going out to the Vixia I set it to Play not record.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
            thenoisystuff Level 1

"I get an audio and video signal, but it constantly drops out. Even when a still image is on the timline, it will appear for about 10 seconds, then drop out and flicker for a few seconds, then return. While trying to export, the same thing occurs, video and audio drops out for a few seconds and then returns."

MPE will only work with specified GFX cards so what are you using?

what system do you run?

what format are you trying to edit with?

what are you trying to export to?

what answers have Adobe already given you?

why am I having to ask these questions of a professional?

• 3. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
              Jomo1234567 Level 1

I do not claim to be a pro, but am trying to learn as I go. I do expect some help when making a purchase like the upgrade to CS5. Adobe Tech Support

has given me nothing but a constant list of the same questions and passing me on to another level of tech support, which leads to the

same questions again. They have promised to have senior tech support call me and in two months, that hasn't happened.

Your suggestion of a specified GFX card is the first I've heard of that, you'd think their people would know this. Nobody there has even eluded to anything of the sort.

I'm using Windows 7 with Adobe Premiere CS5, attemping to export as a quicktime movie to a Sony DSR45 SD Deck. We've been succesfully

doing this with CS3 for the last four years and have never had a problem.

Which GFX card do you suggest?

• 4. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                attemping to export as a quicktime movie to a Sony DSR45 SD Deck.

What CODEC are you using in the MOV file? For SD, the Animation CODEC seems to work great, though I am not Exporting to Tape. Just wonder if your issue is not back with the Export and not with the tape.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

You must have severe MS streaks about you to willingly use a 32 bit, troublesome and inferior codec like QuiRckTime in a 64 bit environment. Try another codec, doesn't matter which one, all are better than QT.

• 6. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                    Jomo1234567 Level 1

Bill,

Where is the setting option for the CODEC?

Joe

• 7. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                      Jomo1234567 Level 1

Harm,

Where do I find the setting for CODEC?

Joe

• 8. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Just use File / Export / Tape.

• 9. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                          thenoisystuff Level 1

OK..we appreciate your frustration.  But we also get frustrated when we have no information on which to base our advice.  You're making TV programmes so I presumed you were working professionally.  But you do need help..fair enough!

A number of nVidia CUDA enabled GFX cards have been certified to work with CS5 utilising its Mercury Playback Engine (MPE)  This gives real a real power boost to CS5 and does make a considerable difference to any workflow. It makes a big difference when previewing timelines but does not affect export ability to any great extent.

Question:  What are your sequence presets?  What are your capture file formats? Can you play back the rendered (?) time line without interruption? Does it stutter or stop in normal playback mode? 

If it does then this will only become more of a problem when you try and export to tape.  Premiere is pretty good, like most NLEs, in that when it's directed to do a tape export, it concentrates resources on it - ie doesn't let other Windows processes get in the way. But there are limits.

Question: Is there a reason you are working with QT as opposed to AVI?  I understand that you have success in the past but you need to supply us with more info.

Help us out Jomo!

• 10. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                            Jomo1234567 Level 1

We bought out our partner after six years of production and have been

learning the ropes ever since. Things were good as long as we used the same

system, but now that we've upgraded, it's all changed, so that's why we're

at square one.

Thanks for taking time to assist.

My sequence pre-sets are DV NTSC, 29.97 frames.second

720 X 480

D1/DV NTSC (0.90910

Lower field first

30fpf

PLAYBACK SETTINGS

External Device  DV: 29.97 720 X 480i

Aspect Ratio  Hardware

External Device Audio

EXPORT

DV: 29.97 720 X 480i

CAPTURE FILE FORMATS    DV

I can play back rendered file on the time line without interuption, only

when I attempt to export does it break up

It doesn't break up while playing timeline on computer, only on external

monitor and tape deck (deck feeds monitor imput)

Joe

• 11. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                              Jomo1234567 Level 1

Harm,

Only when I try "export media" do I get a menu with options.

On "EXPORT TO TAPE" I get, "device control, which includes (Activate

Recording Device, Assemble at timecode, Delay movie start and pre-roll)

Options.....(abort after ___ dropped frames, report dropped frames and

render audio before export)

Export status (start timecode, end timecode, current timecode)

and dropped frames

• 12. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                thenoisystuff Level 1

My sequence pre-sets are DV NTSC, 29.97 frames.second

720 X 480

D1/DV NTSC (0.90910

Lower field first

30fpf

PLAYBACK SETTINGS

External Device  DV: 29.97 720 X 480i

Aspect Ratio  Hardware

External Device Audio

EXPORT

DV: 29.97 720 X 480i

CAPTURE FILE FORMATS    DV

No big issues here as far as formats are concerned so good news!  But....Quick Solution to get you going!

Export your timeline to Adobe Media Encoder (AME) as a mixdown - ie a composite audio/video of your complete programme (All audio and video tracks selected).  The preset should be D1/DV NTSC. ( I presume it is not widescreen?) Use MAXIMUM RENDER QUALITY and select USE PREVIEW FILES. 

Re-import this Mixdown into Premiere when completed.  You now have one large file of several Gbs

Set a new sequence to match this format - D1/DV NTSC.  Place the file on the timeline and export as you would normally in accordance with you timecode requirements.. 

The advantage is that Premiere sees one file, no need to render it and can concentrate all its resources in exporting it to tape.

----------------------------

The next step is to find out why your file is not exporting directly and without stuttering (complete with renders) from the timeline.

But we always walk before we run so try first things first to get your client happy if you are on a deadline..

• 13. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                  Phil Griffith Level 2

I'm not understanding why you are suggesting or talking about exporting anything. If you can play the sequence without interruption and you are connected via firewire to a dv deck. then it should play there as well. no need to export anything. I don't record to tape but if I wanted to, then it would just be a matter of setting record on my deck as I run thru it to my external monitor.. make sure your playback options are set to your dv out. and also your audio as well.

edit: I might add that if you have your playback setting set to output to your dv deck, then your monitor screen in premiere might stop and go. this is what my setup does. but the output to the dv will playback steady. only the mon in premiere will break up.

• 14. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Phil,

There are a couple of snags to be aware of. First of all, export to tape can only work if hardware MPE is turned off. There is no signal over firewire if hardware MPE is turned on. The consequence is that an intermediate step to export first to a single AVI file with MRQ and using preview files makes sense, because the AVI file needs no more rendering when MPE is turned off for export to tape. Also any scaling has already been done with MPE, so the quality is better. It takes more time, but the final result will be better.

• 15. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                      thenoisystuff Level 1

I use the term EXPORT (to tape) because that is what Jomo called it and what Adobe call it.  I pefer the Avid expression of Record to tape (Digital Cut).

I think my solution to the problem stills holds although further investigation of resources is needed to determine why the erratic tape output is happening. I get the impression Jomo does not have a CUDA enabled card (hence MPE is greyed out already).  So DV is always available as an output provided the VTR/Camcorder hardware is functioning.  And yes.... it should work fine.....but it doesn't. The best course of action is always to get your job done to the client's satisfaction and then troubleshoot when you have time. Workarounds in our business are always unpalatable because they suggest something has not been properly thought out. But hey?

• 16. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                        Jomo1234567 Level 1

Phil,

That would be a fine solution, but the signal to the external monitor comes

through the firewire to the deck. It's connected to the output of the DV

deck. It doesn't mater if it's playing the timeline or just has a still

image on the timeline, it drops out every few seconds.

I think what I'm hearing is that I need a CUDA enabled video card. At least

I'm going to try that, since I've exhausted every other possibility.

Thanks for the imput.

Jomo

• 17. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                          thenoisystuff Level 1

A CUDA card will make no difference to your ability to export DV to a DV deck.

• 18. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                            Jim Hines Level 1

I don't have a CUDA enabled card and I record/export to tape just fine.

If your timeline plays without flaw and the problem only occurs when you try to go out to the deck - that would suggest - to me anyway - that the problem may be with the hardware - firewire cable or card - deck settings - signal flow - tape?

Can you capture to Premiere Pro without issue using this deck setup?

• 19. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                              Jomo1234567 Level 1

The capture function works well, no drop-out at all.

We use this same deck on another system (CS3) and it works fine when

connected there. I've tried several different firewires and we installed an

alternate firewire card, just as part of the trouble-shoot.

I can export "media" with no problem. Our workaround has become, export to

media, then network over to the CS3 platform computer and export to tape

from there. Only problem is attempting to view on the external monitor while

working on the timeline. It's there for a few seconds, then off for a few

seconds. It's pretty frustrating.

• 20. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are working with Win7 64, go to device manager and check the driver used on your IEEE1394 device. Is it the one with Legacy in the description?

6-7-2010 0-44-06.jpg

If not, select this driver, by using Browse and Let me pick:

6-7-2010 0-46-49.jpg

• 21. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                  Jomo1234567 Level 1

Yes, you instructed me to select the legacy driver in an earlier discussion

we had. Before that, I had no image at all. Now, I have an image, it just

drops out every few seconds.

• 22. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm running out of options here. If I can come up with a bright idea (there is always hope ) I'll let you know.

• 23. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                      Jomo1234567 Level 1

The DV deck is hooked up analog to another computer via Matrox. Is there a

possiblity that connection is interfering with the firewire connection?

Maybe they can't co-exist simultaneously???

• 24. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                        thenoisystuff Level 1

Have you any 442 serial or other control from this other system?  This is quite a bit of key information you are giving us - way down the line!

• 25. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                          Jomo1234567 Level 1

All that is connected is analog audio and video in and out. There are no

serial or other control cables attached. When I use the deck with the other

system, I just switch out the firewire.

• 26. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                            thenoisystuff Level 1

Well the obvious thing to do is disconnect the deck completely from the second system and see if it makes a difference.

• 27. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                              jon.raidel

has there been any update to this problem? Im having the same problem exporting to tape with my Canon XHG1.

here is a link to the thread talking about my desktop situation http://forums.adobe.com/thread/827476?tstart=0

• 28. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                                bravedog

Hi. I'm having a related but different problem. While when my Sony TRV103 is connected to the computer it both outputs into Premiere, and Premiere outputs to the camera, when I Export>Tape and Premiere takes control of my camera, the picture disappears to blue screen till recording finishes - then Premiere resumes outputting picture to the camera! So I CAN record to tape manually and this isn't a major problem - still odd - is it just a bug relating to my video card? Or am I doing something wrong? thanks

• 29. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                                  klaatudave

I encountered this same problem with CS 5.5.   Reading through this forum, I found that I could change the Mercury engine to be memory only instead of hardware based, and it solved the problem of output to tape.  While I want hardware for my normal workflow, software based for export to tape solved my problem.

• 30. Re: Export to Tape problems in Adobe Premiere CS5
                                                                    graphicstop

Thanks for the solution. It was pretty helpful to me and I have to be hones with you, I couldn't find anything as solid as your comment about how to troubleshoot in such cases. The problem that I have now is that the play back is not on my computer monitor and it only plays on cancorder's LCD and my TV. Thank you,