2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 11:56 AM by alexdejesus

Help me tune my PC Ref. Thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/496742?tstart=0

alexdejesus Level 1

I have had performance issues with my system from the beginning. CS4 Premiere and Encore often stops responding. After Effects has never performed well enough to use for any purpose. This past weekend I restored my computer to factory condition and re-installed Windows, Premiere, and my Matrox MX02 Mini. I am hoping my problems are solved somewhat, but I suspect that since it is a consumer PC, I could probably do more to improve things a bit. I backed up my hard drive, and restored all of my files after reinstalling Windows, so I may have brought back some unneccessary files.

I have been considering going to Windows 7 and possibly CS5, but I would hate to have my problerms carry over to the new OS.

I shoot HDV with a Canon XHA1s. I sometimes work with HDV, but because I have the Matrox, I capture to the large MPEG 2 I-Frame files that are supposed to be more edit friendly. I mostly create video for YouTube and regular DVD - but eventually want to create BluRay DVD.

My system drive is actually 2 500 GB SATAs in RAID 0. I have two additional internal drives for video, both SATA 1.5 TB that I would like to set up in a RAID as well but don't know how to. I have an external 1 TB Buffalo eSATA drive that I use for video overflow and a MyBook drive for backups. All of my video drives are running over 2/3 full, so I am considering picking up a large, maybe 3 TB drive external - would like suggestions.

I followed the benchmarking steps from the following post: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/496742 and decided to start a new thread. This is what my system and Process Explorer looks like:

System Information
      ------------------
      Time of this report: 7/25/2010, 10:39:07
             Machine name: ALEX-NEWPC
         Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100218-0019)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
             System Model: KT608AV-ABA d5000t
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/17/08 16:25:45 Ver: 5.21
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q9450  @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
                   Memory: 8190MB RAM
                Page File: 6777MB used, 9771MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\Windows
          DirectX Version: DirectX 11
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
           DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 64bit Unicode ProcExp Screenshot.jpg

ppbm@att.net

I sent an email to Bill Gehrke with more results that I could not post here.