5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2007 3:17 PM by pixlor

Update web site with changes

I just made changes to our menu (created in fireworks) How do I update my web site with the new menu? (please do not flame me for stupidity :-) )
        • 1. Re: Update web site with changes
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          Did you just change the colors, or did you add additional buttons? Do you have a link to the current website? Are you comfortable using Dreamweaver in addition to Fireworks?
          • 2. Re: Update web site with changes
            tchalfant Level 1
            I added and deleted from the menu. Sure I can use dreamweaver
            • 3. Re: Update web site with changes
              JoeDaSilva Level 4
              Well in that case then, it depends on a lot of variables. I'd suggest that you upload your PNG file to the web and post that in addition to giving us a link to the HTML that's currently there.

Changing the site navigation, depending on how it's setup is a lot like overhauling the engine of a car. Lot's of hoses and wires to re-connect!

• 4. Re: Update web site with changes
                tchalfant Level 1
                Please do not laugh, www.faithlutheranlv.org is the site.
                the png is at www.faithlutheranlv.org\Navigation Buttons Seperated\Navigation.png

Thank you for your help and I welcome your suggestions!
                • 5. Re: Update web site with changes
                  pixlor Level 4
                  Your .png has the same buttons at the Web site, what is it you changed?

I looked at the code and...I'm sorry to tell you this, but it's a mess. From line 7 through line 787, comment tags are opened but not closed. 780 lines of improperly coded nothing? Some standard Dreamweaver code is commented out from 788 to 847, and again at 1747 after a few more hundred lines of open-but-not-closed comment tags and blank lines, and again at 3579.... After each block of commented out code is some kind of menu stuff, but probably only the last block is functional. Looks like there's some external JavaScript code for your menus from 2002.

For divs, ids should be defined only once, but id LAYER2 is defined twice (lines 3787 and 4021), id LAYER4 is defined 3 times (lines 3803, 4032, and 4035), and id LAYER6 is defined twice (lines 4019 and 4030).

Have you tried viewing the site in Firefox? In 2.0, I get the buttons and the footer and that's it. No header, no Flash elements, and no background behind the buttons. Hmm. I wonder if it's because the flash is in an embed tag rather than an object tag? I don't use Flash, so someone else will have to help you with that. In IE7, even though I know there are some other menu links somewhere (Admissions, Curriculum, Student Activities, Faculty and Staff, Counseling, Cafeteria, Safety Pledge, Directions) I can't get them to display. Perhaps that 5-year-old JavaScript code is not compatible with current browsers.

If I were you, I'd take this step-by-step, dissect what this page is supposed to do, and rebuild it from scratch in a way that will work with current browsers. This one doesn't. I know that sounds like a lot of work, but I think it would be more work to straighten out this page.

Good luck!