12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 4:35 AM by Tai Lao

JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?

Curt Y Level 6

I converted a nef  and a regualr jpeg to a Jpeg 2000 picture and used the various save options as a test.  In all cases I can not open it in camera raw, that option is grayed out.  Is this by design?

I notice in Bridge Camera Raw Preferences  there are only options for jpeg and tiff images to be opened in camera raw.  Is this an oversight?

Also, using Bridge one can not add keywords as the message appears "xxxxx.jpf can not store XMP metadata".

In Windows Explorer the add tags box does not appear as an option either, so it can't be blamed on Bridge.

Has any one else experienced these problems with j2000 images?  Is jpeg 2000 ahead of the curve, or just a flash in the pan?

• 1. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Not sure what you are expecting...there are a lot of files Camera Raw won't open...the only ones supported are specific raw files, simple JPEGs, and flat TIFFs with embedded color profiles. No, Camera Raw won't open JPEG 2000. Care to tell what camera saves out JPEG 2000? Oh, that's right, it's a file format that here in 2010 STILL hasn't achieved support in most apps without loading special plug-ins. Heck, Camera Raw can't even open PSD files...and you wonder why JPEG 2000 won't open? Really?

If you want to open a real JPEG and save in a different file format, I suggest TIFF...simple flattened tiffs with color profiles are supported by Camera Raw. Use that...cause JPEG 2000 STILL hasn't caught on (and never really will)...

• 2. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
            Noel Carboni Level 7
            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Heck, Camera Raw can't even open PSD files...

Psssst.  Look again.  Somebody made that work. 

-Noel

• 3. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Well, Lightroom 3 can open PSD files, but on Mac with ACR 6.1 and PS 12.0.1 PSD files are not showing as openable in Camera Raw/Bridge 4.0.2.1 ...maybe YOUR install is different?

(BTW, I double checked before I posted-not that I give a hoot about .psd files since Creative Suite co-opted .psd files as the native file format of Creative Suite and made Photoshop change to .psb files which also won't open in Camera Raw much to my irritation when doing .psb panos and I could seriously not care less about JPEG 2K).

• 4. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
                John Joslin Level 6

Jeff

In Photoshop if you use File > Open As... and pick it from the drop-down list, you can open a PSD in ACR.

Not that I've found any use for it yet either.  

• 5. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

John's right - .psd opens from within the Photoshop app itself (on my Windows workstation) - but as you have said .psb does not.  Like you I just don't find a need to open "already developed" formats in Camera Raw.

-Noel

• 6. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

John Joslin wrote:

In Photoshop if you use File > Open As... and pick it from the drop-down list, you can open a PSD in ACR.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever actually tried that before...sure enough Open As does indeed open a PSD even a PSD with layers which is kinda leading me to suspect that it's an unintended result of actually having Camera Raw as a selection in the Open As dropdown. Camera Raw is not intended to be able to open layered files. Open As will also open a TIFF with layers..which is, again a break in what I understand the intended behavior to be.

Interesting...

• 7. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
                      Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

…suspect that it's an unintended result of actually having Camera Raw as a selection in the Open As dropdown. Camera Raw is not intended to be able to open layered files. Open As will also open a TIFF with layers..which is, again a break in what I understand the intended behavior to be.

Interesting...

…and I suspect Camera Raw is opening the flattened composite or even the embedded JPEG preview in such files.  

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 8. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
                        Level 4

Incidentally, I can't confirm my assumption because I'm on CS4, which does not open a PSD in ACR.  There's not even a File > Open As… menu command in CS4.  Only Open as Smart Object.  At least in the Mac version.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 9. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
                          Level 4

Tai Lao wrote:

Incidentally, I can't confirm my assumption because I'm on CS4, which does not open a PSD in ACR.  There's not even a File > Open As… menu command in CS4.  Only Open as Smart Object.  At least in the Mac version.

Someone with CS5 please open a PSD derived from a large (14MB or higher) raw file in ACR by the method described by John Joslin and report on the pixel dimensions as opened in ACR.  That should give us a clue as to whether only the embedded JPEG preview is being opened in ACR.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 10. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

Tai Lao wrote:

…and I suspect Camera Raw is opening the flattened composite or even the embedded JPEG preview in such files.  

Oh, it's opening the whole PSD...and the opened image in Camera Raw is, of course without layers...so if you do open a layered PSD in ACR, then open it into Photoshop and overwrite your original PSD your layers will, of course be toast. Which is one of the reasons that I think it's a bad idea for ACR to be able to open any layered files, period.

• 11. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
                              Noel Carboni Level 7

I understand that a flattened image composite is stored when PSD compatibility is set, but I didn't know it was a JPEG (or that there's a JPEG preview in a PSD file at all, save for maybe a thumbnail).

Can you clarify that?  Is this JPEG preview you speak of the flattened composite, or are we talking about yet a different preview?

And do we lose more than just layers, but also color depth when we re-open a PSD through Camera Raw?

-Noel

• 12. Re: JPEG 2000  & Camera Raw?
                                Level 4

It may be a question of semantics and I may be using my own idiolectal nomenclature, but a thumbnail, an embedded preview and a flattened composite are three distinctly different things from my perspective.

1. A PSD may have or lack a flattened composite altogether (as your post implies). 
                                2. Whether the thumbnail is a product of the OS or not is beyond my pay grade; but I suspect it is, since FileJuicer extracts it as a ".pct" (PICT) image file from the PSD on my Mac.
                                3. Finally, a preview is generated by Bridge with the dimensions defined in Advanced preferences.  In my case I have it set to "Generate Monitor-Size Previews".

Jeff Schewe states that the whole PSD is being opened in ACR 6.x, not any of the three derivative images referenced in the first paragraph of this post.  I'm sure he checked both the pixel dimensions and the file size, so I'm happy to take his word for it.  He's the guru who literally writes the book on Camera Raw.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了