6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 8:56 AM by Chris|Cousins

Using XDCamHD files

Chris|Cousins Level 1

Hi - I've been supplied XDCAM HD422 720p50 encoded Quicktime files, which I'm trying to use in Premiere. The web docs say this format is supported but Premiere tells me the codec is missing/unsupported. I don't think these files are straight from the camera, they've been graded & cut before reaching me. Is there any way of using these files in Premiere? I'm on a Mac OSX10.6 - I don't have FCPro here unfortunately so I can't view the files in Quicktime either.

Hope someone can help, thanks - Chris

• 1. Re: Using XDCamHD files
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          I've been supplied XDCAM HD422 720p50 encoded Quicktime files... I don't think these files are straight from the camera...

That's likely the problem right there; Premiere works well with its supported camera formats, but once you get into the realm of exported/transcoded/intermediate formats, things can go sour quickly.

Pick up MediaInfo, and find out what the FourCC of the codec is; it seems odd that you can't play these back in QuickTime on the Mac, since QT Mac ships with most playback codecs. I'm guessing the file was exported as DVCPROHD file; in that case, you need FCP installed on the machine, or a third-party solution. The FourCC will reveal what you need, however.

• 2. Re: Using XDCamHD files
            Chris|Cousins Level 1

Thanks for that Colin, all useful advice. Here's the file info; I don't know much about the XDCAM format, but maybe it's the Quicktime wrapper that's making Premiere fail on this one?

Quicktime would handle the files but only when Final Cut is installed, as this incorporates the XDCAM codecs - they're not installed by default, and I don't have a Final Cut Mac to hand. And I don't think the codecs are available in isolation. It's awkward as I told my client explicitly that I could work with these files, gonna have to get them re-supplied I guess...

qtinfo.jpg

• 3. Re: Using XDCamHD files
              Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, it is XDCAMHD--though as you've corrected surmised, without FCP installed, they won't be playable. Thanks Apple! Fortunately, other companies have come to the rescue with third-party codecs. Try these (demo): Calibrated{Q} XD Decode. They should allow you to view the video, albeit with a watermark. The purchase price isn't too bad, so it might be a worthwhile investment.

• 4. Re: Using XDCamHD files
                Chris|Cousins Level 1

Thanks again Colin. It's a shame I was hoping to finally put and end to all this with CS5. The Calibrated{Q} demo worked well but $100 for a codec seems a bit steep - I think under the circumstances it's probably just time to spring for FCP at last and get the full codec support. Grr.

• 5. Re: Using XDCamHD files
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, bear in mind that this is Apple's doing, not Adobe's. Because Apple only provides the codecs if you've installed FCP, there's not much Premiere can do on a system without it. That's the reason that several other companies have released codecs for QuickTime decoding of DVCPROHD, XDCAM, and other flavors. So, no matter what, you have to pony up--guess it just depends on what is more useful to you and which can be more easily justified to the accountant

• 6. Re: Using XDCamHD files
                    Chris|Cousins Level 1

Well, bear in mind that this is Apple's doing, not Adobe's.

Sure, didn't mean to sound like I was complaining, it's just that 100% of the people I work with use FCP I guess so any file they supply to me always works just fine for them. So even though I'm working entirely in AE I thought I could use Premiere to at least convert the footage - when I saw all the new supported formats I misunderstood and thought the codecs were the formats - clearly not the case!

Thanks again for all the info.