5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2010 11:53 AM by bonhomie1512 RSS

How can we save or export a file or a project into .mp4 file format or extension?

bonhomie1512 Community Member

HI,

Working on a project and wish to know the steps to save or export the project (video clips only) in .mp4 file format in premiere elements 8.0

Thanks in advance.

Vinay

• 1. Re: How can we save or export a file or a project into .mp4 file format or extension?
          A.T. Romano Community Member

Vinay

Take a look at

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple iPod and iPhone

and the preset = iPod and iPhone - High Quality

Then under the preset's Advanced Button, set the settings accordingly

BUT, remember first to set

a. if you want a frame size of 1280 x 720, set the Level = 4.0

b. if you want a frame size of 1920 x 1080, set the Level = 5.0

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 2. Re: How can we save or export a file or a project into .mp4 file format or extension?

Hi ATR,

Thanks for this valuable information.

I am able to get output in .mp4 file format.

I followed instructions given by you and it worked fine

Thank you very much.

I checked the scan type of the output file and it was showing progressive.

I wish to get interlaced scan type of output file, because I saved file  as per 1920*1080  29.97 fps and widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio  and I think(I am not sure)  in premiere elements 8.0 we face issues with progressive video clips.

So please provide some information about how to get  scan type interlaced.

Regards,

Vinay

• 3. Re: How can we save or export a file or a project into .mp4 file format or extension?

Vinay

Thanks for the follow up.

The route that I suggested is the only one that I know of for export .mp4 video from Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. And, under the preset's Advanced Button, there is no option to change the Field Order (grayed out) but showing None (Progressive).

I am not clear on your concern about Premiere Elements and progressive video issues. The classical concern has been the import of 1080p video into Premiere Elements when there is no 1080p at 29.97 frames per second project preset, only 1080i. And that concern is fueled by the party line that there is no 1080p export. I have found that those concerns are flawed.

a. for import of 1080p at 29.97 frames per second, you use the NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i which will give you the 1920 x 1080 template from which to edit in the Edit Mode Monitor. The Field Order does not impact the editing aspects here, and the program accepts the 1080p import, no problems with the Importer.

b. for 1080p export, you can use Share/Personal Computer/MPEG, using the HD720p30 with Advanced Button settings adjusted to the 1920 x 1080 with progressive frame rate 29.97 frames per second...frame size 1920 x 1080, Field Order Progressive, Pixel Aspect Square Pixels, File extension will be .mpg.

The settings above are NTSC for my location. Depending on your location the settings would be for PAL or NTSC.

If your concerns go to other than that, please explain.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can we save or export a file or a project into .mp4 file format or extension?

Vinay

I have had some additional thoughts on the matter.

In the Share/Mobile Phones and Players/Apple iPod and iPhone with the preset iPod and iPhone High Quality, the export was characterized by

MainConcept H.264 Video Codec with a .mp4 wrapper (the file extension). As discussed, there was no choice to alter Field Order in the preset settings under the Advanced Button.

I am not sure if the following would be of interest. This would involve MPEG-4 Video Compression with a .mov wrapper (the file extension), and you do have the option to alter Field Order in the preset settings.

Share/Personal Computer/Quicktime with a preset 128 Dual ISDN. And, under the Advanced Button you would set the codec = MPEG-4 Video, frame size to 1920 x 1080, frame rate 29.97, Field Order progressive, upper field first, or lower field first, etc.

I do not know how the end product quality would compare in your situation.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 5. Re: How can we save or export a file or a project into .mp4 file format or extension?

Hi ATR,

I am aware of this kind of setting in premiere elements 8 to go with 1080i presets but I was concerned with progressive clip because it becomes difficult, sometime, to work with progressive clip in premiere elements .

Anyways, I got the answer to save file in .mp4 file format and that is enough for me.

Thank you very much and have great days ahead.

Regards,

Vinay