5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 2:18 PM by Steve Grisetti

Best settings for Flash output PREL 8

JeffPriest Level 1

Hi all,

I apologize if this is a repeat question, but I've spent a couple of hours already today trying to find the answer and to no avail.

Here's what's happening: once completed, my creative agency sends me the file (mov format...details below) and I export it to flash (see settings below). When I export to flash video, all the white text on the black screen is fuzzy and borderline illegible, yet the rest of the video is fine. Any idea why this is happening?

Here's the details:

mov file settings:

exported in Apple Compressor

MPEG-4 format

ISMA Profile:  Improved

Frame rate:  29.97

Key Frame:  30

Bit Rate:  High VBR

Frame size:  720 x 300

Pixel aspect:  1.000 square

Fields:  Progressive

Retiming:  (Best) High qual. motion compensated

Resize filter:  Best (Motion comp)

Adaptive details:  off

Antialias:  0

Detail:  0

Audio:  AAC stereo

48 kHz

Sample rate:  44.100

Bit rate:  160

Flash output settings:

format: flv

codec: sorenson spark

frame rate: same as source

size:700 by 300

bitrate encoding:cbr

bitrate: 4,000

mpeg layer III - stero - 96 kps

system:

Premier elements 8

xp sp3

intel core 2 dup cpu e8400 @ 3ghz

2gb ram

2x7200 raid HD; 1 with program files, 1 with source/project files

page file 4000/9000.

Many thanks for your help

Jeff

• 1. Re: Best settings for Flash output PREL 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you have any control over the format that your agency is sending the files to you in? An MP4 is one of the more challenging formats for Premiere Elements to work with.

You don't say which project settings you're using in Premiere Elements to work with these files -- but the combination of that and your file format could by why you're getting such mediocre results.

If they can send you MOVs using the DV codec rather than the H.264 codec, that would be a good start. You should be able to get great results editing a DV file in  Premiere Elements project set up for DV.

I'm not sure why you're outputting your FLV file at those strange dimensions (700x300), but that could also account for your blurriness, since you've down-rezzing the file to a lower resolution. Are these the specs your agency wants your video at?

Finally, how are you judging the quality of your FLV files? What are you playing them on and are you looking at them at 100% actual size or are you looking at them oversized or, worse, at full-screen on your computer? This too can affect your results.

• 2. Re: Best settings for Flash output PREL 8
            JeffPriest Level 1

Hi Steve,

My project settings are AVCHD HD 1080i 30. Is there a better preset to work with when it comes to working with videos that have already been produced? All of the presets seem to indicate that they are to be used if they come from a specific camera format.

the output size is so that they can be used on our wesbite, in a flash player; the actual size is 720px by 395px.

As for judging quality, I'm reviewing them in Adobe's flash player at actual size.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 3. Re: Best settings for Flash output PREL 8

You should definitely not be using a 1920x1080 project setting to edit a 720x480 video, Jeff.

Is it at all possible to get your video with the DV codec? Then you could edit it in a 720x480 DV project.

Otherwise, you're going to get bad results.

• 4. Re: Best settings for Flash output PREL 8
                JeffPriest Level 1

Hey Steve,

Thanks for pointing out the 720x480b dv settings. that change did the trick! The video is still in mpeg-4, but it's crystal clear.

Now for a really, really newbie question, can you please point me to a thread that explains to how better use the presets? I've scoured the Adobe Help section and haven't come across anything when it comes to using presets for working on videos that have already been produced. Is it a trial and error thing?

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

• 5. Re: Best settings for Flash output PREL 8

How about starting with my free Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorials at videomaker help site http://Muvipix.com?

And, if you want more details, check out my books on Amazon and at the Muvipix book store.

I've also got a free Steve's Tips article available on Muvipix.com. Just type "project presets" into the product search box.

Lot of great stuff on that site, eh?