4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 12:25 PM by chris.campbell

Adobe AIR deployment

bluestainedivy Level 1

Admittedly, I'm green to software deployments in an enterprise type environment, but I'm trying to deploy various Adobe software packages to users (~500). Air is one in particular that I've been wrestling with. I get an error message every time I try to run the .msi installer saying "Could not access network location (computed)". The .msi is something I extracted from the local settings temp folder as I've done with other apps I've tried to deploy. I've searched on the error a bit, but other than some conflicts between CS3 and Office I've not seen anyone else with this problem.

My question is: is AIR not meant to be deployed with an .msi file and if so, what are the recommended ways to deploy it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 1. Re: Adobe AIR deployment
          chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Hi,

Here's a good article describing enterprise deployment

Distributing AIR in the enterprise

I'd also like to recommend reviewing our Runtime Redistribution website.

Hope this helps,

Chris

• 2. Re: Adobe AIR deployment
            bluestainedivy Level 1

Hey Chris,

Sorry for the delayed response. I'll take a look at this when I can get caught up...I've been away from the office.

I appreciate the help.

Daniel Roberts

• 3. Re: Adobe AIR deployment
              Rosskoba

I have the same issue.

The document linked above reccomends using SMS which costs close to $1000.

When we distribute third party software, we use GPOs to deploy software packages, which only work if you have a .msi file.

Java and Adobe both provide .msi packages for their software, however Adobe does not provide .msi downloads for Adobe AIR, only for their Flash and Reader. I can only download .exe for AIR.

In the past, when I need to deploy .exe packages, I use a program called 7Zip to extract the .exe, which provides me with a .msi package that I can deploy using a GPO.

This does not work with Adobe AIR. When you try to install the .msi an error message comes up saying:

"Could not access network location (computed)"

This does not make sense since I am trying to install the program locally, it is not even looking over the network for the file.

Has anyone run in to this before? I need to resolve this issue so AIR can be deployed to ~100 Workstations.

• 4. Re: Adobe AIR deployment
                chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Moved discussion to the Desktop Development forum