Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 RoboHelp HTML published as web help TOC format

Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to manually tweak the TOC formatting in a published set of sub docs that were generated from the root books of a RoboHelp HTML project?

Original project had Install Guide, Admin Guide, etc. which are now published separately. Problems: all files for all books are in each published help system. Browse sequences contain all topics. TOC format got 'lost' so tab names rather than icons are used for ...TOC, Index, Glossary, etc. even though Icons are in the projects. Individual projects open with one book, which must be expanded. No colors in TOC, and uses a different (and noticeably larger) font from the topic.

Since this one-off was done to an unknown version of the content, I'd be better off mucking with the cshdat and wh files than the content of the topics.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Certainly you can muck about with the behind the scenes files to influence things, but I would think it would be infinitely simpler to just modify the skin or the project in RoboHelp, then re-generate and re-publish.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...just now revisiting the project that precipitated the original request. I have additional info and a request:

The separate help documents had been published without resetting the browse sequence. As it is today, (because browse sequences were not updated), many hyperlinks jump out of the published books and over to an earlier build that has a single TOC (same IIS server, but completely different path).

I learned that a RH HTML project can have multiple TOCs. So, my new question: is it possible for three TOCs to keep thier own browse sequences and access one common set of published HTM topics?  How would that be engineered? I don't quite know how to manage hyperlinks that reference topics in one of the other books. I don't want to inherit the wrong browse sequences.

The alternative is to generate help from the 4 different TOCs into 4 different folders, which is a lot of replication.  Like Siamese twins, there's a lot of cross sharing built into the original project, so in most cases, the "see also" relationships would give each separately published book 100% access to all the topics, but from a limited TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds like you think there is a link between the TOC and Browse Sequences. You can create one browse sequence based on one TOC but after that you create whatever you want.

Whilst RoboHelp allows a topic to be in more than one sequence, you have to be careful doing that. If your generated help includes a topic that is in two sequences and both of the next topics are also in that help, how does RoboHelp know which one to go to next.

Create a copy of your project and test using that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp