4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 10:49 AM by Harm Millaard

Direct Export Much Faster Than AME?

FuelMe Level 1

In the beginning this wasn't an issue for me but lately I've noticed a significant difference between exporting directly from PPro CS5 vs. exporting via the Media Encoder.

I'm talking the exact same footage, exported at the exact same settings, 2-3 times as long using AME.

Direct export is very fast, quality is perfect etc.

Caches are set to be pulled from same drive as source files. Changed this temporarily to see if it makes a difference and it did not.

This is the case with all source materials (mostly AVCHD right now) as well as export profiles.

I have tried changing priorities in the Task Manager without any noticeable improvements. Hardware acceleration via MPE is on.

What else should I be looking for?

Thanks

Win 7 Professional 64Gb

Core i7 920

12Gb Ram

GTX 285 2Gb FTW Edition

VelociRaptror 150K Boot/Prog

WD Caviar Black 1 TB Exports

WD Caviar Black 640 Gb Source files and Caches

CS5 Production Premium

• 1. Re: Direct Export Much Faster Than AME?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Actually, weird things happen here when you compare direct export and using AME, depending on what the source material is and what the end result must be. Adobe is aware of these issues. A bug report has been filed.

What happens, and I only have figures for my system, but it will give you an idea of what is going on and that has been corroborated by others, including Adobe.

Look at the PPBM5 Benchmark and run the Disk test, simple DV AVI, exported to DV AVI. Direct export takes 18 seconds, AME needs 72 seconds. Then try the MPEG2-DVD test. Direct export takes 180 seconds, AME needs 70 seconds. And the H.264-BR test takes 80 seconds, both with direct export and with AME.

If you consider that DV AVI export in CS5 with AME is around 4 times slower than CS4, you will realize that the AVI exporter plug-in has some bugs in it, that do not happen with direct export.

If you consider the MPEG encoding times, again something really weird is going on here, because the scaling for this export is done with hardware MPE. This means that direct export should be much faster when using PR than using AME, but the opposite is true.

The only consistency I have found is H.264 with equal times for direct export and AME, which is logical since it is so much dependent on CPU/RAM communication and cache size.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Direct Export Much Faster Than AME?
            FuelMe Level 1

Harm, thank you very much for your response. I thought I was going crazy there for a while.

Great to hear Adobe is working on this because the differences are quite significant, as you also have found out. With one-format exports, exporting directly out of PPro is fine, but, like I'm sure most users, I have to produce multiple formats.

Hope to hear something positive about this from Adobe soon.

Thanks again, Harm.

• 3. Re: Direct Export Much Faster Than AME?
              Dailey Pike

How times change! What Harm once thought was unreplicatible "magic" in May he's now become an "expert" on in July.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2838835#2838835

• 4. Re: Direct Export Much Faster Than AME?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm only stating facts about my experiences in terms of timing and expressing the weird behavior that looks like magic and can not be explained by logic.

AVI should not make any difference yet is 4 times faster with direct export.

MPEG2-DVD is 2.5 times faster with AME, while logic says it should be slower.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but then neither is Adobe. They said it needed to be fixed, and can't explain the magic behind it.

Apparently the introduction of MPE and the move to 64 bit has caused serious changes that sometimes defy our old-fashioned logic and requires new thinking about what goes on under the hood.