3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 6:28 AM by Harm Millaard

Acheiving Best quality HD DVD

smitpr1 Level 1

Does anyoneone have experience with using PP for rendering the best HD DVD.  I'm using Panasonic a TM700k which outputs AVCHD @ 1080P 60FPS.  The final destination is HD DVD, but can someone suggest presets and renders suitable for the job?  I'm guessing then I need to use Encore to write to the DVD, if so what are the best renders in Encore for that once I first render in PP?

• 1. Re: Acheiving Best quality HD DVD
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What is HD DVD?

I am familiar with DVD, which is SD and I am familiar with BRD, which is HD.

Your export from TM700 will be limited because it uses a non-supported format, not even Panasonics latest BRD players support that format. Your only choices are to convert/encode to BRD or DVD acceptable formats, like 1080i for BRD or 480 for DVD (NTSC).

• 2. Re: Acheiving Best quality HD DVD
            smitpr1 Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply.  Because I'm so new at this, I'm apt to get all all kinds of terminolgy scrambled.  I thought HD DVD meant you did not get the letterbox and SD meant you get a top/bottom/left/right box.  If I encode to widescreen (720x480) on a DVD and I'm trying to get the best quality should I ever get that letterbox surrounding?  If not I'm doing something else wrong.

• 3. Re: Acheiving Best quality HD DVD
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Letterbox or pillarbox surroundings are caused by a mismatch between the DVD format and the TV you play it back on. Widescreen DVD will play perfectly on a widescreen TV.

1 person found this helpful