15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 7:39 PM by paniaguaesteban1

Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS

smitpr1 Level 1

Does anyone know for PP CS5 what are the best presets or how to customize to the best preset?  The input is AVCHD @ 1080P 60FPS.  None of the existing presets seem right.   But I'm new so maybe I missed it.

• 1. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Just use the New Item icon in the project panel and the correct sequence settings will be created automatically.

• 2. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

For reference and technical accuracy:

1080p60 is not AVCHD.  Check out this document, as well as any number of professional video forums.  Here is an excerpt from the referenced document:

In 2010, Panasonic introduced a new lineup of consumer AVCHD camcorders  (HDC-HS700/HDC-TM700/HDC-SD700) with 1080-line 50p/60p progressive-scan  mode (frame rate depending on region)18.  While this mode is not compliant with current AVCHD specification, it  uses the same codecs for video and audio, packaged into the same  container and stored in the same folder as AVCHD-compliant files.19 While current AVCHD specification limits bitrate to 24 Mbit/s, video  recorded in 60p/50p mode can reach 28 Mbit/s and uses Level 4.2, unlike  Level 4.0/4.1 used by AVCHD-compliant camcorders.20

The footnotes in the linked document above reference tech docs from Panasonic and Sony, as well as independent AVCHD technical info.  I consider the information to be completely accurate and reliable.

To reiterate: the new 1080p60 camcorders that record using AVC/MP4 are technically not AVCHD.  AVCHD is a specific subset of the AVC codec, and the files are stored in a specific folder and file format.  So when Adobe states that they have native AVCHD support, that support does not necessarily extend to AVC formats outside of the AVCHD spec.  Caveat Emptor.

-Jeff

• 3. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
              smitpr1 Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Since I think I got the attention of one of the brightest guys here.  I watched your video on rendering HD to SD.  Would you recommend using the 720p 60FPS method for 1080p 60FPS input?  I'm trying to make the best quality DVD I can from my Pany TM700K.

Man I really appreciate all you helpfull guys on this forum.  I would have went balder without it.

• 4. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The 720p60 workflow should apply to 1080p as well.  And theoretically, in CS5 it shouldn't be necessary to export the intermediate file any more.   Just to be sure, test a short segment of the sequence for comparison purposes.  Make sure Use Maximum Render Quality is set for all exports.

Test #1: Export a 480p60 Lagarith file from a portion of your 1080p60 sequence.  Import that file and add it to a 480i sequence, setting Pr to Interlace Consecutive Frames.  Export again to MPEG2 DVD.  Make sure your sequence and export field order settings match.  Since you have a choice, I'd suggest Lower Field First for use in En.

Test #2: Set each and every 1080p60 clip in your 1080p60 sequence to Interlace Consecutive Frames.  Export the same portion of your sequence as in test #1 directly to MPEG2 DVD, again choosing LFF for the field order.

Test #3: Same as test #2, only this time *don't* set the clips to Interlace Consecutive Frames.  CS5 may be smart enough to do that for you.  (It's been a while since I've tested this and I don't remember my results offhand)  It's also possible that ICF in a 1080p60 sequence will cut the number of frames in half, but still keep the 60 fps playback speed, which will effectively make your video speed up to 2x.

Put all exported clips into an En project and burn them to disc.  Play them back on as many different DVD players and display devices as you can get your hands on.  Evaluate and decide which method works best.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                  smitpr1 Level 1

Thanks Jeff,

I actually tried this method and did get the 2x speed problem which you mentioned. "It's also possible that ICF in a 1080p60 sequence will cut the number of frames in half, but still keep the 60 fps playback speed, which will effectively make your video speed up to 2x."

So I guess that means not to do the ICF portion but do everything else mentioned?  Meaning do an export, an import and a final export but no ICF.

I did get very good quality except for the speed in CS5.

• 6. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                    rhelmes@btconnect.com

In addition does anyone know the correct setting for the AVCHD 1980 HG - (non 1080/50p the resolution below this) setting in

the Panasonic SD700. None of the Adobe Prem Pro presets seems to be right for this either

• 7. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      the new 1080p60 camcorders that record using AVC/MP4 are technically not AVCHD.

Nor are they compliant with the HDTV or Blu-ray specifications.  This is a very weird thing Panny has done, creating a format that will essentially only play from the camera.

• 8. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                        BrooklynDakar

can someone just simply tell me which preset to use for 1080/60p  is there no way to make a custom preset?

Now I created a new sequence and chose the 720/60p preset, and dragged my 1080/60 clip in.  The sequence timeline properties state 1080/ 59.94 fps, but the sequence settings in the project panel state 720/59.94 fps.  Is this what I want.  Does this effect how I export?

• 9. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can make a custom preset: New sequence/General under Editing Mode you will

find Desktop. That will let you make any preset you want.

desktop 60p.png

• 10. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                            BrooklynDakar Level 1

ah, thank you I missed that.

it seems that no matter what the settings for the new sequence are when I drag the 1080/60p clip on the setttings automatically change. Is that what is happening. Then it wouldn't really matter what the presets are?

Since mostly non-pro people will not output to 60p is there a benefit for starting out with  60p footage?

Thanks for the help

• 11. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think the are only good for making slowmotion.

• 12. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                                BrooklynDakar Level 1

Thanks for this tip, I would have never found it.  If anyone from Adobe is listening why aren't there any hint popups when you hover over an icon.

• 13. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                                  paniaguaesteban1

Were you able to get an answer on this question? I alson need to know what the correct preset would be on Adobe CS5 when the Panasonic TM700 is on HG mode, not 1080p60. Thanks.

• 14. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                                    BrooklynDakar Level 1

Yes, the person above who said to use the new project icon had the best solution for me.  I haven't been using Premiere lately, but there was a problem trying to create a custom preset.

• 15. Re: Presets for Pana TM700K 1080P 60FPS
                                      paniaguaesteban1 Level 1

Hello,

Can you please tell me the details for working with Adobe Premier Pro CS 5 if the video was captured on HG mode?

I know it is 1920X1080 but it does not explain if this progressive or interlaced.

Thanks,

Esteban