5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2010 2:54 PM by Powered by Design

APP CS5 - missing fonts not identified

txbonfire Level 1

After upgrading computer and software, I have been opening all of my CS2 Adobe projects (Photoshop, Premiere Pro, etc...) with CS5.

With Photoshop CS5, if the font is missing the program will alert you.  Because of these alerts, I was able to determine which fonts were missing in my Photoshop projects and install the missing fonts.

Unfortunately, Premiere Pro CS5 will use the "next best" font if a font is missing.  Therefore, I was trying to determine which fonts were "incorrect" within my APP CS5 projects and install the missing fonts accordingly.

Question #1.....I have approx 360 fonts from my XP computer.  Would there be any harm in installing all of these fonts on my Windows 7 computer, to make sure I cover my bases?  Currently, there are approx 300 fonts on my Windows 7 computer.

Question #2...Would this be considered a feature request or bug; i.e. the fact that APP CS5 does not identify a font as "missing."

Note: I have verified that if I try to install a font that is currently on my Windows 7 computer, I will get a prompt asking if I want to replace the existing font.  Obviously in this case, I would not replace an Windows 7 font with a Windows XP font.

Thanks,

Angela

• 1. Re: APP CS5 - missing fonts not identified
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Don't install any more fonts than you need. It's a quick way to slow down your system.

Premiere DOES tell you the name of a missing font; you just need to know where to look. When you open a title with a missing font, a yellow exclamation point indicator will appear in the bottom right corner of the application pane. Double-click this, and it will give you a series of notifications about what font is missing and what it has been replaced with; make a note of this file. Close your title without changing anything, and close your project without saving it (obviously, save before you start this process). When Premiere is closed, install the missing font or fonts, and relaunch Premiere and reopen your project. When you open a title that previously had missing fonts, it will reassume its former font properties.

I made a quick video about this for CS4; same principle applies, though:

• 2. Re: APP CS5 - missing fonts not identified
            Powered by Design Level 4

For some reason Colin the embedded video from YouTube didnt work with my Chrome borwser.

I tried it in IE and Firefox and it plays fine.

Here is the YouTube link if anyone is using Chrome.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cmbrougham#p/a/u/0/5fPxyRPE5uA

I wish you had audio with it.

Its weird watching a video with no audio but thanks for the video.

Enjoy:  GLenn

• 3. Re: APP CS5 - missing fonts not identified
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Weird; just checked it in Chrome here, and it works OK. Maybe some sort of ad blocker installed?

Nobody wants to hear my voice anyway But maybe I'll do another recording for CS5 (that one's old--the version on CS4 was 4.1.0!) with a voice track. Hmm...

Thanks for the comment!

• 4. Re: APP CS5 - missing fonts not identified
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Angela,

I am a big fan of using a font manager, like Extensis Suitcase, and have it working on boot up on my workstation.

In general terms, I have about 900 fonts that are installed on boot up, and then folders of additional fonts (about 12,000), that I sort by client, and by Project, plus by font families and other criteria. When needed, I load those up.

In your case, as you do not know exactly which fonts are going to be required, I would look into a good font manager. At the worst, you can group your "extra" fonts into a special folder (inside the font manager), and then start making notes, and defining what you will "need."

I am with Colin on not unnecessarily loading a system up with fonts, but in your particular case, I think that placing those "legacy fonts" into a font manager's special folder, while you annotate, will not be that big a deal. You can Copy them to say a series of folders: PS_Fonts, TT_Fonts, OTF_Fonts, etc., and use the font manager to handle them - once for your testing, and then via special folders for when you do need them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: APP CS5 - missing fonts not identified