4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 9:23 AM by Noel Carboni

Use the Recycle Bin during Save Operations

Noel Carboni Level 8

The other night I was working on a big image.  I had been saving it to my master .psd file, and right before I quit my Photoshop session I downsized the image and did a Save - As .jpg so I would have a draft copy.

When I exited Photoshop it dutifully prompted me "The document has changed, do you want to save?" and I absent-mindedly clicked [ Yes ].  Oops!

By virtue of the fact that I had saved the master file in several different folders, I did not lose all my work, even though my latest master file was overwritten with a small image.

I believe that when Photoshop saves a file it actually writes a new file with a temporary name, then deletes the old file and renames the newly written file to the name of the old.  So I thought to myself, perhaps Photoshop used the Recycle Bin, and I can undelete the previous version...  But it wasn't there.

If the deletion I mention above is actually happening...

It would be great if Photoshop would to send files that are deleted during Save operations to the Windows Recyle Bin.  Then prior files could be available via undelete.

I've also submitted this via the wish form.

Thank you.

-Noel

• 1. Re: Use the Recycle Bin during Save Operations
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If I may be allowed to digress from your actual request:

before I quit my Photoshop session I downsized the image and did a Save - As .jpg so I would have a draft copy.

For such occasions I use Scripts contained in a Configurator Panel that duplicate the images flattened-ly and do the rescaling, saving and closing on those, thus avoiding risk to the layered files.

If you want to give it a try let me know.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Use the Recycle Bin during Save Operations
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Thank you, c., for the suggestion and offer to help.  I'm quite aware of making duplicate images, etc., to avoid what I boneheadedly did.  I actually have an action that does the job, though I've kind of stopped using it now that Photoshop can now Save-As a Copy directly to an 8 bit JPEG from a 16 bit document.  Perhaps I should resurrect it.  I rarely make this kind of mistake, but it was late and I was tired.  My practice of changing folders for my final sprint to the finish line saved me in this case, as I had only done one or two small things that needed redoing.

But it would have been nice to find the previous version of the file all nestled and waiting for me in the Recycle Bin. 

-Noel

• 3. Re: Use the Recycle Bin during Save Operations
              AlexMxi Level 1

I would want that feature too.

A few times I had experiece of Photoshop freezing the PC when saving a particularly large file. It would delete the original and freeze up while writing a new temporary copy. And there was no way to restore those deleted 1-2 Gb files with hours of work. The freezing on saving doesn't bother me now. Maybe it was a Photoshop or Windows bug that has been fixed eventually. However, it would be much safer if the files were deleted into the recycle bin or if Photoshop was making sure that the new copy is fully saved on the HDD and the file is closed, then delete the old copy and rename the new one.

• 4. Re: Use the Recycle Bin during Save Operations
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Another user who could have used this feature:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/805040

-Noel