29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 11:27 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported

MarmadukeCS5

This doesn't happen with every graphic in the known universe. I have permission to get photos from certain sites (.gov, .mil) and those pictures are crashing CS5.

I've tried importing and dragging from the media browser. The crash occurs when the playhead hits the image, or I select the image to resize etc.

As a working process, I've been opening the images and re-saving them in photoshop CS5, which appears to be working. Here's an example of an image causing these types of crashes:

bowler.jpg

I'm not getting any error message. Windows just pops up a screen saying that the program has stopped working.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Marmaduke

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Is it just JPEG images? What are the dimensions of the images?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have a link, but there has been discussion in the past about the "metadata" that is put in the file header when the file is created, by some cameras, causing problems for Premiere

Your solution of opening in Photoshop and resaving (or save as to a new name) is the only fix I know about... you may also change to a better size for video editing while in Photoshop

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Do you have an MPE-capable graphics card, with GPU Acceleration turned on? This sounds mysteriously like the crashing issue that I've had, as well as a couple other users. It only happens with some images, based on their dimensions and, oddly, their DPI. I've heard from an engineer that the bug was located and smashed, but in the meantime, you either need to work in software MPE mode, or do what you're doing--resave the images.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                MarmadukeCS5 Level 1

The images aren't unduly large. I'm working in 24P sequences, and the

pictures are all smaller. The crash happens when I first select them to

resize. I was able to save once, and the crash occurred immediately when the

project was reopened. Had to go to a backup.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                  MarmadukeCS5 Level 1

That's what I've been doing. It is slowing my workflow down considerably,

though. I'm a one man army, and any extra saving or program routing can put

me past a deadline easily.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                    MarmadukeCS5 Level 1

No, unfortunately I don't have one of those yet. I've seen some examples on

Lynda.com, and would definitely be able to use it for the effects rendering.

At the moment, I'm running a quad core 64bit system with 8 gig of

ram. Effects and processing are running better than in CS4, but the picture

crashing issue is a real Achilles heel at the moment.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do very simple photo processing w/Photoshop... but you might check into batch processing to find out how to open/re-save all pictures in a directory via Photoshop automation

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                        MarmadukeCS5 Level 1

Probably through bridge. great idea =)

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                          Jrm125 Level 1

I too have this problem. I've found larger images (generally 2000 x 2000 and higher) jpgs will cause Premiere to completely stop and not respond for several minutes. It often takes a restart just to get the computer back to full speed.

Not exactly running a slouch either...16 gb RAM, Windows 7, Quadro FX with Mercury Support, Core i7-980x. The thing eats HD video for breakfast but can't handle single images.

Fix this Adobe, it's killing my workflow to have to manually resize images in Photoshop just to drop them onto a timeline.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Pity your first post already contains a serious error. Hope that your future posts will be more accurate and factual.

Welcome and correct your statement about 16 GB/980X to what it really is.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                              Jrm125 Level 1

"Pity your first post already contains a serious error. Hope that your future posts will be more accurate and factual.

Welcome and correct your statement about 16 GB/980X to what it really is."

And what error might that be?

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                Jrm125 Level 1

The Intel Core-i7 980x can and does run on 16 GB of memory. 4 sticks of 4 GB of RAM.

Last I checked, processors can run in any RAM configuration...I think you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Certainly doesn't require weird configurations of multiples of 3 like you're saying.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                  Jrm125 Level 1

cpu.jpg

Because that sure looks like a 980x with 16 gb to me...

Any other pearls of wisdom...or I dunno...maybe an actual fix for my problem?

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Though this ARTICLE is mainly focused on Scaling down stills, it also applies to Scaling up. I would do all Scaling to match your Project Frame Size in PS, and this will tell you how to use Actions to automate the process. Once you have the Action written (quite simple and just recording the Scaling of one image), you can then Automate to Batch with that Action and do an entire folder full in moments.

I would also check for aspects, like Mode, etc., to make sure that those downloaded images are all with the same exact specs.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Justin,

I just added an article link above, on doing the Scaling to match the Frame Size in PS with the use of Actions to Automate to Batch. Take a look at this, as it will both improve quality and will remove any unnecessary workload from the system. That's a win-win in my book.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Any other pearls of wisdom...or I dunno...maybe an actual fix for my problem?

OK, you made your point--now lose the attitude. This is a user-to-user forum.

That said, this is a bug with GPU hardware accleration in the currently-available version (5.0.1) of Premiere. The bug has been squashed according to an engineer to whom I corresponded with regarding the issue. Obviously working without hardware MPE is not a lot of fun, so check the DPI of your source images (I know--sounds weird). Try rescaling them to 72DPI if they are anything but that; DPI is more or less irrelevant for video, but as far as how the images are processed by the hardware, it does make a difference in stability.

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                          Jrm125 Level 1

Bill and Colin, thanks, I appreciate the article and the responses.

I guess I'm in a weird position with this. I technically need the images at near full resolution because I'm performing pan and scans on them (they're products with a lot of detail).

I'm finding, for the time being, that reducing the DPI method seems more helpful than reducing resolution. I'll very likely have use for the article you posted too.

Thanks again...I appreciate when people are helpful instead of trying to flame my system specs. Hopefully this is something that'll be addressed in a software update somehow.

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6

I guess I'm in a weird position with this. I technically need the images at near full resolution because I'm performing pan and scans on them (they're products with a lot of detail).

I'm finding, for the time being, that reducing the DPI method seems more helpful than reducing resolution. I'll very likely have use for the article you posted too.

Resolution (DPI) and pixel dimensions are related when working with print, but not so much for video. With video, it's really all about pixel dimensions--that's where your pan-and-scan comes into play. Obviously, starting with a higher-resolution (DPI) image has the potential to result in higher-quality output, it also can be a waste of effort because the raw display capability of video, even HD, is significantly lower than that of printed material.

If you change your DPI in Photoshop from whatever it is (probably something like 180 for digital stills) to 72DPI, just punch in your original dimension (leave the Constrain Proportions option ticked) and return the image to its original size. When you hit OK, you shouldn't see any drastic change, if any at all. Any loss of resolution would likely have happened in Premiere anyway, and you're actually better off with the scaling algorithms in PS than those in PPro.

Hope that helps.

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Only that your memory is used at 15% less performance than you could. You have crippled your system.

WEI.jpg

Even a much lesser system performs better.

It is like seeing a car drive around on three tires, instead of four. You inform the driver his car is not in ideal condition. That was the intent.

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                Jrm125 Level 1

Harm,

The system is not used exclusively for video editing. I require more RAM for other applications such as 3D design (and running a large number of applications at the same time). I don't need "performance" (even though it exports HD in more than twice real time...so far faster than I need it to be) so much as I need swappable space in my RAM for other applications.

Regardless, your original point was A) I was mistaken about my specs, I was not, and B) that my system could not run on 16 GB of RAM with my processor...you were completely incorrect. (I notice you removed your post about it not functioning....sneaky)

I'm trying to be polite, but you're making it really hard. I don't really need your Windows experience index...mine is only lowered because of my hard drives...so it isn't really a necessary test of capability. I've also never heard of RAM multiples of three ever giving you special capabilities (I'm running in quad channel, so my configuration is great).

The other gentlemen answered my question far more affectively and without the attitude. You're clearly taking this another direction than is necessary.

Thanks.

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I did not remove that. That was a mod who probably did not like my statement about intentionally crippling the system in order to get paid under the Disability Act. It was reported for abuse and removed. Sometimes they are finicky.

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                    Jrm125 Level 1

It's just as well, as it was incorrect information. Next time you tell someone to be factual, make sure you are too. Maybe lay off being insulting as well, a person shouldn't come for help and be met with such disdain.

The lowered DPI has solved my problem, so thanks to Colin. I used the method as described. Works like a charm.

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

One does not expect people to willingly cripple their system, especially with a i7-980X, to take a 15 - 30% performance penalty in memory performance.

Usually those people do not know what they are doing and I think it wise to advise them that their car is running on three wheels, instead of four. But that is what you have done. If you don't want a warning, OK.

• 24. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                        Jrm125 Level 1

Harm,

For starters, I'm not going to take someone seriously who actually said that you can't use 16 GB of RAM with my processor. I mean, you actually said that.

And then there's this whole performance thing. Considering performance is not a quantifiable number…especially since you don't know my RAM selection, bus speed, RAM timings, voltages or motherboard model…and flat out ignore that I'm running quad channel memory in a quad channel configuration…well, you just don't make any sense. In fact, it just shows your ignorance on the whole topic.

There's no crippling…in fact the only thing that seems crippled is Adobe's software till they patch the issue. Furthermore, you're completely trolling this topic, never once having contributed to the original, or additional issues.

Now, I see that you're a regular on here (more than regular, it's actually closer to an obsession)..so I'll just assume you like having the last word. So here's some advice…if you don't know what you're talking about, don't answer. If someone's new, help them. Don't accuse them of being wrong out of the gate, and then don't steer the topic elsewhere so you can wave your e-phallus around about computer specs.

Better luck next time. Should take a page from the other commentors, they were polite and helpful. I'm done with you, as you offer nothing.

Seriously, seek professional help.

• 25. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                          MarmadukeCS5 Level 1

So...back to them pictures....um...is there any way to end this thread?

• 26. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                            I'm running quad channel memory in a quad channel configuration

That does not exist.

That is good advise.

• 27. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                              hpmoon Level 1

JustinJrm125 wrote:

Harm,

For starters, I'm not going to take someone seriously who actually said that you can't use 16 GB of RAM with my processor. I mean, you actually said that.

And then there's this whole performance thing. Considering performance is not a quantifiable number…especially since you don't know my RAM selection, bus speed, RAM timings, voltages or motherboard model…and flat out ignore that I'm running quad channel memory in a quad channel configuration…well, you just don't make any sense. In fact, it just shows your ignorance on the whole topic.

There's no crippling…in fact the only thing that seems crippled is Adobe's software till they patch the issue. Furthermore, you're completely trolling this topic, never once having contributed to the original, or additional issues.

Now, I see that you're a regular on here (more than regular, it's actually closer to an obsession)..so I'll just assume you like having the last word. So here's some advice…if you don't know what you're talking about, don't answer. If someone's new, help them. Don't accuse them of being wrong out of the gate, and then don't steer the topic elsewhere so you can wave your e-phallus around about computer specs.

Better luck next time. Should take a page from the other commentors, they were polite and helpful. I'm done with you, as you offer nothing.

As I've mentioned several times in this forum, Harm does more harm than good.  And hard drive speed is 95% of his advice.  Just ignore him.

• 28. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

You know, you present some interesting observations. I have been around here for many years, and have only seen a very few mistakes by Harm, regarding any hardware issues. Those were usually due to a misunderstanding, because to the info offered.

I am not sure where you are coming from, but if you are the new "hardware guru," please tell us all what you would propose. Inquiring minds [SIC] want to know.

Good luck

Hunt

• 29. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Crashes when graphics are imported
                                                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The   Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update fixes some issues with performance and stability when processing still images, including problems encountered when processing large still images using the GPU portion of the Mercury playback engine.

When you have updated Premiere Pro CS5, let us know whether your problem is fixed.

See this page for details about the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update:

http://bit.ly/djiyh4

Please report bugs that persist after the update here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish