6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 3:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Organiser wont run

Jon Macdee Level 1

I can run PE8 ok but if I choose organiser either  on the splah screen or in the project it loads and immediately shurts down.Cant see it being the pc as  editing is ok so far and the same thing happens  if I try elements 8.

• 1. Re: Organiser wont run
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you installed the version 8.01 update for the program?

Have you gone to Windows Update manually and ensured you have even the non-critical updates (which often include drivers) and have you gone to Apple.com and installed the latest version of Quicktime?

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? What operating system are you running and how much free, defragmented space is left on your C drive?

• 2. Re: Organiser wont run
            Jon Macdee Level 1

Hi y Thankses I have the 8.01 update and the latest quicktime .I am very reluctant to do most windows updates and cant see the need .the programme runs its only the organise r that wont  I'd be quite happy to uninstall iorganiser  as doubt if I;ll ever use it But it should work

My pc is windows xp sp3

P4 3 Ghz

2Gig of ram and  cdrive has 35 G of space and my scratch drive D has 70  as far as I know the auto anayser is off  though I cant check  as  organiser closes before I can.I know this is pushing it for HD but  we're only talking about an accessory

• 3. Re: Organiser wont run

You've got enough room for scratch files on your C drive -- if your drive is defragmented regularly. The Elements programs do require contiguous scratch disc space, so fragmentation can cause the programs to choke.

But I DO encourage you  to get your Windows Updates! You'd be surprised how much buggy behavior is related to outdated system files.

As a matter of fact, if you're running a Pentium 4, your system is likely a good 5 years old. (In fact, it's similar to my main PC.) The FAQs to the right of this forum list the regular maintenance regimen that keeps my system running like new.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

A computer can get pretty full of "invisible" temp files in just a few months. After 5 years, these .tmp and other files can junk up your system pretty badly, and could also be contributing to your problems. Try running Advanced System Care Free (linked to the the FAQ) just once and you might be amazed at how much garbage gets cleaned out and how much better your computer will run!

And, for goodness sake, PLEASE update your operating system!

• 4. Re: Organiser wont run
                Jon Macdee Level 1

Thanks again Steve for your patience .I had already carried out most of your suggestions albeit with different tools .Today I did

the upgrades but still had no joy .Eventually I did what I would normally do with most programmes  and uninstalled PE8 . I then tried elements and the organiser worked fine .I reinstalled PE8  and it still worked then the update still fine finally the contents  and now all working fine .One question you said I should use My C drive for thescratch disc was that a typo as I thoughtit was preferable to use a seperate drive

• 5. Re: Organiser wont run

I'm sorry. I used the wrong term.

Yes, your scratch disk preferences should be directed to the same drive as your project files -- which I assume you're telling me is on a second or external drive.That's ideal.

But, in addition to scratch files, Premiere Elements, Photoshop Elements and the Organizer need space on your C drive that they use sort of like a paging file. I've found that space to be about 20-30 gigabytes. Once my free space on my C drive gets fragmented or smaller than 20 gigs, I start having problems running the program. I thought that might be the case with you.

In your case, though, there seems to have been some corruption in the program. Glad you were able to fix it!

• 6. Re: Organiser wont run
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jon,

If one has a 2x physical (very important - not partitions) HDD setup, the best layout is thus:

C:\ OS, programs and probably your Page File (Windows Virtual Memory)

D:\ Projects, media and Scratch Disks

If one had a 3x I/O setup, then the media would go one E:\ and the rest would stay the same.

Personally, I find that a minimum of about 60GB free space allows one's system and Projects to work well. Remember, however, that about 75% of the total size being used on a HDD will slow things down. The more full it becomes, the slower it will respond and the more likely one is to have future issues. I never go over 75% full, regardless of the amount of free space.

Good luck,

Hunt